TechSpot

Code 80070005

By Lawman
Mar 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. My Windows 7 is trying to update by it's self. "windows can not check for new updates" and gets me to click try again and nothing works And error code is "80070005 how do I fix this.

Cheers
    Lawman
  2. Zen

Zen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 938   +44

3. Lawman

Lawman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well that didn't work.
  4. jmjsquared

jmjsquared TS Enthusiast Posts: 145

The link posted by Zen leads to a good read with good, specific info.

Assuming you log on as Administrator, have already run malware scans (Anti-virus plus Malwarebytes or Spybot Search&Destroy, for example), that come up clean, let's do some basic housekeeping:

1. Run Windows System File Checker (SFC): Start> All Programs> Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt click Run As Administrator and type sfc /scannow , then press Enter. Let the utility run. Reboot.

2. Give this Microsoft FixIt a try, which is supposed to, "Automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update. Automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update, keeping your PC more secure and reliable.": http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/en-us
    Reboot and try Updates again. If no luck, then:

3. Download and run Windows 7 Update Readiness Tool: Windows6.1-KB947821. There are 32bit and 64bit versions. Choose the right one for your system. This Tool takes a good while to run and has NO progress indicator. Let it finish. Reboot and try your updates again.

Keep us posted.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.