Combining a EIDE w/S-ATA hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help. I have a EPOX EP-8KRAI-pro socket A mother board with a AMD SEMPRON 3300 CPU. This mother board supports S-ATA hard drives as well as the EIDE configuration. I also have a MAXTOR 160 GB EIDE (7200/8MB/ATA-133) hard drive with operation system installed. My question: is it possible to combine a S-ATA hard drive (7200/8 MB/SATA-3) with this units present configuration?

If so could someone please explain? I appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Thanking you in advance,

God bless you Saint John

What is it exactly that you want to do? use the sata as a storage drive? if that is the case there should be no problem. just make sure that in the bios it is set to enable both Sata and PATA (IDE).

It is not recommended to combine IDE with SATA. Use one or the other. Windows sometimes get confused and will default to IDE during system crashes and other bugs. IF you still insist on combining the two, get a USB to IDE converter and use the older techology as an external drive(s).

IF you use them together, be aware it is not stable. IF you have any type of boot sector issues, windows sometimes will write to both drives and you will wind up having to format the IDE drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back