Comcast ends FCC broadband probe with new terms, $800,000 payment

By Leeky
Jun 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Comcast Corporation, the US' largest cable company has reached a settlement with the Federal Communications Commission, agreeing to pay a "voluntary contribution" of $800,000 to the US Treasury and to continue offering a reasonably priced, stand-alone high-speed internet service for…

Read more
  2. So it was a bribe. "Help please dont investigate me! Here is some money so the bad men will go away"....
  3. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 694   +211

Sad that the government has to get involved on something like this. Of course, making a utility company provide a reasonably priced service as a condition of operating in an area is hardly a new thing. It boggles the mind how bad Americans are getting screwed with regards to internet service while most of the planet has cheap, fast and widely available connections. And its not just price vs. speed but simple availability, too. The cell carriers and cable companies get insanely rich while 3-4 miles outside of most American towns you can't even get cable or DSL!
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,043   +697

Wrong, psycros, the cell carriers are not getting 'insanely rich' Sprint/Nextel for example, loses about $3billion a year and they're stock price is $3. Comcast makes about $4billion a year, which isn't that great considering how much revenue they have.

And the govt isn't making them provide a service as a condition of operating in an area. What article did you read? It was a condition of purchasing $37billion in NBC.

It also says that Comcast was guilty of not 'adequately marketing' their stand-alone service. That's a d!ck move, to be sure.

I didn't know I was getting screwed on my internet service. I pay $50 a month for unlimited 10Mbps. How cheap should it be? What I hate is paying for it on my phone and cable.
  5. likedamaster

likedamaster TechSpot Member Posts: 81   +12

Wow, I paid $29 a month for unlimited 12 mbps. Getting robbed for sure. Also, it's not unlimited like they say(surprise!). I agree on your other points though.
  6. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

and I pay 60 bucks a month for my internet.. 20mps+ dwnload, and 5mps upload..
    never gone above 2.75mps dwnload and 1mps upload... what a ripoff..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.