Comcast launches 105Mb/s Internet tier for $105

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Comcast has finally announced the initial availability of its Extreme 105 Xfinity Internet service, which is currently available to 40 million homes in major markets such as Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Indianapolis, Miami, Philadelphia, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Washington DC.

First introduced last May, the service delivers download speeds of up to 105Mb/s (10Mb/s upstream), which is a substantial boost over the company's previous 50Mb/s service. According to the company's figures, you can download an HD movie in five minutes and a standard-def TV show in 20 seconds.

That speed comes at a premium, of course, as pricing is currently set at $105 per month when customers add it to their "Triple Play" bundle (TV, phone and Internet). That's an introductory rate which expires in 12 months, and then you're looking at $130 a month on top of your cable and phone.

Although that probably sounds like a lot, it's far less than the $200 per month Comcast originally intended to charge when it first announced its 105Mb/s tier. It's also relatively competitive with Verizon's flagship FiOS offering of 150Mb/s download and 35Mb/s upload for about $200 per month.

Considering Extreme 105 Xfinity requires DOCSIS 3.0, you'll probably have to upgrade your modem unless you intend to lease one from Comcast. Also, despite its blistering speeds, the new tier still has a data cap of 250GB per month for residential accounts. Business accounts are unlimited but cost more.

Image via Flickr

Permalink to story.

I hate comcast as a company, too expensive, terrible customer service, but I'm currently a comcast customer. I've switched between dsl and comcast like 5 times over the course of my adulthood. I get so pissed at comcast, for either raising my prices ( seems every other month ) or just plain $hitty CS, leave them for a few months, then go back because I miss the speed.

This new package although awesome in speed, for 130 dollars, I don't think so. What's with the 250gb cap? Booo on you comcast!

Wow, you would think at this price that they would get rid of the data limit at least. At that speed you can hit 250gig in 5 hours. I don't how some people live with data limits. I use about 5gig per day without downloading anything. I would rather have a relatively slow connection that I can actual use as much as I want than a fast one. This also reminds me of those stupid smart phone data plans which can reach there maximum in 2 minutes...

105 bucks
that is just ridiculous.. totally...

250 gig cap... stupid... so u could watch 30 +/- 1 movies a month

pretty stupid a cap... my god man

hey i would pay 20 bucks extra a month for "C O M M E R C I A L" free tv...

Comcast still doesn't hold a candle to FiOS. It's too bad Verizon isn't offered in my area, or I'd go with them in a heartbeat. Till then, I'm stuck with Brighthouse (RoadRunner).

That's 42 cents per gigabyte. Comes out to be about $10.50 for a 25 GB HD movie. At least 2 bucks for a standard DVD, that you can pick up at RedBox for a dollar.

It will be news when Comcast, and other broadband vendors, start charging $1 per Mbps. Everything else is just marketing hype.

250 GB cap equals to 5,25 hours of downloading time at maximum speed... that is not very interesting, I'm afraid... not even at 105 Mbps.

Out of curiosity how much more is a business acccount? If its say $10-20 more would that make it more viable?

I'll stick with my 50mb/5mb service, with truly unlimited downloading/uploading over any service thats faster but capped.

Sigh, here in Australia I pay 100 dollars for 10 megabyte internet, things like this just make me want to move to the states.

Well it is nice to know that I am not the only one who hates Comcast. There is a reason why Philadelphia is one of their citys on that list. Basically because of PA's former Governor, I'm sure you get the picture there.

I have had some terrible service with Comcast, we would keep losing the signal (on the TVs) and Comcast kept saying, "Oh we'll have to put in another signal booster in." I do not know if they ever did or not but the TV signal still sucked. Also, they ripped us off too because they do not tell you about their deal changes, we only found out when we got a HD TV and wanted a HD box.

We ended up getting FiOS once it came to my neighborhood and I have been very happy with it ^.^

Wendig0 said:
Comcast still doesn't hold a candle to FiOS. It's too bad Verizon isn't offered in my area, or I'd go with them in a heartbeat. Till then, I'm stuck with Brighthouse (RoadRunner).

I feel bad for ya Wendig0 and I hope FiOS comes to your area soon.
My current bandwidth with FiOS is 35Mbps/35Mbps :D

The upload bandwidth it’s much more important than the download. Why not 1 gbps up and down? Do you afraid the big numbers?

Bandwidth access is human right in the 21 century.

Im a comcast tech, i believe the limit has been changed (Although dont quote me). Its now 400Gb.

Guest said:
Im a comcast tech, i believe the limit has been changed (Although dont quote me). Its now 400Gb.

Comcast customer support: And who exactly told you that the cap is now 400 Gb?
Techspot reader: Uh...Guest?
Comcast customer support: Can you be more specific?
Techspot reader: Uh...Guest #18?

I live in Romania and we have a 100Mb/s internet for 18$/month. And as bonus for a 2year contract we get a land line phone number and a phone plus a 3g usb modem with unlimited data plan. Oh, and for the actual internet contract there is no limit as well. :p

Back