TechSpot

Comcast shows off 1Gbps broadband, next-gen Xfinity TV

By Jos
Jun 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Comcast CEO Brian Roberts showed off his company's latest and greatest tech at the NCTA's Cable Show 2011 yesterday. Using a demonstration cable network, the executive wowed attendees by downloading…

Read the whole story

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 344   +23

Don't care for comcast and data caps will screw over gamers big time. I was doing some shopping for wireless internet and the gues told me that they sell buy data caps, in GBs. He asked me if I was a gamer, i said yes and he did not recommend that I should get it and told me of a kid who got it and played COD for 4 hours and used up 8GBs. So doing some math: (250/8)*4=approx 125 hours of gaming a month and of course that doesn't include other online stuff or ondemand shows. I do wonder if watching regular TV uses up the data cap too...

3. blimp01

blimp01 TS Enthusiast Posts: 157

lol oops i accidentally downloaded a 14 GB game in 30 minutes

4. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 974   +99

Would be insane if you could just download and use it unlimitedly without having any caps or anything... That said $105 quite heavy price tag but guess it would be worth it.

Hmmm :p

5. Impossible.

6. Whats the point if you have stupid data caps? Oh that's right, at that price they got your money and that's all that matters to Comcast. Let's say if Joe internet user used this at full speed you would hit the stupid data cap of 250GB at about under 3 and a half hours. They have caps on the internet use but not their wallets. Seriously, wake up Comcast subscribers, you're definitely getting ripped off again for sure with this 1Gbps broadband.

7. "lol oops i accidentally downloaded a 14 GB game in 30 minutes "

Watch out..50gb limit per month..or somethin like..and your speed will get throttled..to 56kbps!!hahahaha..

8. @guest who said "impossible". Oh yeah, totally possible. Even at 22Mbps, my current comcast connection is already faster than the throughput of my computer DVD-ROM. This was not "possible" just 5-6 years ago, and it is a low-end business line.

9. pabloker

pabloker TS Rookie

In my city (Argentina's south), i pay 70 USD for 10 Mbps connection. I think you are lucky.

10. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

119.2MBps *gets hi pressure* that dl cap better be big so i can try those expensive games before wasting my money.

11. on 3G in south africa its 500dollars for 20gig

12. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

What's the point of having a 1 Gbps line if there is a data cap in place ? Kind of like running a Formula 1 car with only a quarter tank of gas. By the way, I'm paying $37 for my combined landline and 1 Mbps DSL connection.

13. try virginmedia in uk 50/100mb unlimited usage :D

but i do hope they bring the 1gbps to virginmedia cable network ;)

14. In US maybe.
    Can somebody help me find US on this chart?
    http://netindex.com/download/allcountries/

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.