Commodore unveils Amiga Mini PC with i7-2700K, Blu-ray

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Steadfast in its mission to deliver retro machines, Commodore USA has unveiled a modern take on the Amiga. Called the "Amiga Mini," the system is compact enough to serve as an HTPC at 7.75in x 7.75in x 3in (197mm x 197mm x 75mm), yet powerful enough to be a workstation. The machine is offered in two basic configurations: a do-it-yourself barebones box for $345 and a fully outfitted rig for $1,995.

The former only comes with an Amiga and Commodore-branded, sandblasted aluminum chassis in your choice of silver or black, as well as a 120W power adapter and a slot-loaded Blu-ray drive (read only if we had to guess), but not much else -- precisely as you'd expect from the word "barebones." It accepts a Mini-ITX motherboard and has one expansion slot as well as two 2.5-inch internal drive mounts.

The fully configured and exorbitantly priced Amiga ships with a Z68-based motherboard, a 3.5GHz Core i7-2700k, an Nvidia GeForce GT 430 1GB, 16GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM, a 1TB HDD, the aforementioned Blu-ray player, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, and a copy of Commodore OS Vision. For an extra $495 or $995, you can upgrade the storage to a 300GB or 600GB SSD. There's also an optional IR and remote kit.

Neither package is a good value when you consider the availability of compact solutions from Zotac and others. Even Apple's Mac mini arguably offers more bang for your buck. The $799 model ships with a 2.5GHz dual-core Core i5, 4GB of RAM, an HD 6630M GPU, a 500GB HDD, more connectivity (including Bluetooth 4.0 and Thunderbolt), an integrated PSU, a more competent OS and a thinner case (1.4in).

Permalink to story.

Exorbitantly priced is right, but I'd still love to have 1. Twould be a fun toy indeed.

That's probably the nicest mini itx case I've seen, very clean lines. It's unfortunate where they put the Amiga logo, would have looked better under the power button.

I'm surprised a 120watt supply is able to run the speced system, I would have thought it required more power.

Please stop promoting these fake so called Amiga's... :-(

They are not Amiga's and are nothing more than overpriced off the shelf PC parts, in a non custom case that can be purchased on eBay, running a free Amiga emulator on a free OS (Linux) being labelled by CUSA as a "new" OS called "Vision"...

Not to mention CUSA are a company not to be trusted after all their fake photos they have posted over the past two years...

Guest said:
Please stop promoting these fake so called Amiga's... :-(

They are not Amiga's and are nothing more than overpriced off the shelf PC parts, in a non custom case that can be purchased on eBay, running a free Amiga emulator on a free OS (Linux) being labelled by CUSA as a "new" OS called "Vision"...

Not to mention CUSA are a company not to be trusted after all their fake photos they have posted over the past two years...

Would you be able to supply a link to this exact design of case? I've been looking on ebay for months with no luck.

Agreed on Matt's Mac Mini sentiments, at least on a hardware level. I love me some itx goodness, but if I'm going to go THAT small, might as well go with the Mac Mini. *Shrug*

edit: or maybe work with a Norcotek ITX-7 (link = http://www.norcotek.com/ITX-7.php) and replace the 60w power supply with a higher rated PicoPSU.

Yeah, that case is pretty awesome, just a shame its soo much.

even £50 seems a bit steep but swallable for that size, but £80?!

oooww, well, it is a nice case after all :)

It's the Streacom F1C Chassis

http://www.streacom.com/products/f1c-chassis/

Back