Common Registry Fixes Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedog102

Small Regedit Guide For Beginners

Caution: Registry editing should be used as a last resort. Consider registry editing when various tweaks, fixes, and greyware/virus removers have all failed. You have been warned.

Many of you, I'm sure, have had computer issues one way or another. Many problems are the result of malicious registry editing from various greyware/virus applications. The following is a guide to fix many common errors regarding the denial of access to something or similar. Please note that there are several different ways to fix issues, but this tutorial focuses on problems associated with the registry.

To begin with, many times, the registry will be disabled so the user can't fix the problem some program started. This is easily fixable. A .vbs script that will activate this right away!
Registry Activator

29prm2v.jpg

(Side note for advanced users: We are essentially adding a DWORD key to the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System] naming it 'DisableRegistryTools' and setting the value to zero.
0 - regedit is enabled.
1 - regedit is disabled.

-----------

Now that access to the registry is available, we can fix a whole bunch of stuff! To get to the registry editor, click start -> run. In the box, type regedit.

vinw53.jpg

Now that we are in the registry editor, let's check for a HUGE error that affects the majority of infected users. This is an area where people can disable your task manager, your registry, your ability to change wallpapers.. ANYTHING! What I'm talking about is a section called "policies". This can be used for constructive purposes, but you wouldn't be looking at this guide if you knew that, so we're going to delete this entry.

Before we begin, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!!!

I cannot stress this enough, especially if you don't know what you're doing. To do this, look at the picture below.

10xwyfo.jpg

----------

After backing up, we finally get to have some fun killing some nasty entries! Locate this entry folder: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\] folder. This folder is... EVIL!!! Delete this and many problems will literally disappear. Here's a picture to help:

1qlws7.jpg

As an alternative:

You can use a program called RatsCheddar. Instructions are as follows:

-Save and extract this program wherever you prefer.
-Once extracted, Double click on the RatsCheddar.exe file.
-Enable everything, then click Exit
-Reboot your Computer.

A huge thanks to kimsland for this!
--------------------

Unfortunately I have no time to add more common issues, but I will edit this post in the very near future with more common errors!

Hope this helps your problems,
Nathan

Nice job! But even with the great graphics, I am very conservative about sending a user to do a regedit. I would like to see a NOTE: Caution somewhere in your tutorial that while it might seem easy to follow the steps, changing the Registry with a regedit should "only" be done when nothing else fixes the problem.

I'm much more inclined to employ a program or a tweak to handle the change if available rather than the direct regedit.

Agreed. With beginners, I should mention registry editing is a last resort, only to be used after various programs and removers fail to do the job.

As for kimsland, sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not sure if there is a group for users dedicated to helping others, but if so, I would love to apply.

Thanks for the input guys,
Nathan

if there is a group for users dedicated to helping others
Yes there are

You must be first Registered at TechSpot
By the way this includes everyone here!

In other words you are able to help from day 1

You can read many of the guidelines, and how to actually create new threads at TechSpot here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back