Comp can't detect CD-R

domino23

i took my cd-r out my old computer and put it in a new one, but now the computer cant detect the cd-r... it doesnt appear in bios neither... help.

Since you said old computer I'll make the assumption it is a PATA/IDE drive as opposed to SATA (Big wide 40 pin connector vs small tall sideways L connector). If that assumption is right you'll want to double check the jumper settings on the drive.

If its the only drive on the ribbon, set it to Master. If its 1 of 2 devices on the cable, one must be set to Master and the other to Slave (alternatively both could be set to Cable Select but I don't recommend it).

Should be set after that provided the drive is getting power to it.

its gettin power cause the light is on and the drive opens and closes... how do i set it to master?

Please don't just assume the diagram provided by hughva applies to your drive!
It gives an example of what to look for...
Note this quote!
The diagram below shows the jumper assignments for one popular line of EIDE hard drives. Your drive's jumper settings may be different and can be found in the drive's documentation and/or on a label attached to the drive.
If you cannot find the settings for your new cdrom, (unusual situation!) let us know make and model and we might be able to chase them down.

This is a very strange post.

Please don't just assume the diagram provided by hughva applies to your drive!
It gives an example of what to look for...
Note this quote!
If you cannot find the settings for your new cdrom, (unusual situation!) let us know make and model and we might be able to chase them down.

@ hughva - Strange? Howso?

You offered some help, a link to some useful information and
I was trying to highlight the possible pitfalls associated with assuming that a Maxtor layout would apply to the CD-R of the OP.
The OP needs to know that this diagram may not exactly apply to their drive.

There is good information on that page,
just not necessarily all the information the OP needs.

It's strange in that you quoted info from the page I sent him, just as though you didn't think he could read.
Maybe it's just me, but your post seemed superfluous.

its gettin power cause the light is on and the drive opens and closes... how do i set it to master?

gonna try out what that website said and said it to slave...

I suppose you can try either and go with what works, but thats really missing the point, I'll repeat what I said above:

If its the only drive on the ribbon, set it to Master. If its 1 of 2 devices on the cable, one must be set to Master and the other to Slave (alternatively both could be set to Cable Select but I don't recommend it). If there are 2, as long as one is Master and one is Slave you are set, the order does not matter.

If you have the jumper set correctly and still have problems it forces the problem to be either a bad data cable, bad drive, or more rare - bad controller on the motherboard (power is another option but you said its getting power).

Be confident in how the jumpers are set, and you can do that by following what I said.

i just took it out and it was set to slave... since it didn't detect that, i changed it to master for the hell of it to see if that worked... nope.

You still haven't said whether it is the only drive on the cable or not. I know you've tried both jumper settings now but you haven't told us what the physical setup is, without that I can't do anything more than say it should have worked.

It won't hurt to try Cable Select.
You could also disconnect the other drive, set this one to master and put on the first connector.
If that doesn't work, it's faulty.

When both Master and Slave jumper-settings fail, it's mostly the setup itself which is funny.

Could you take a look in the computer's BIOS?
There should be an option to set which drives are what in the "Basic BIOS settings" - also called many other things, but always simple, easy (you get the gist of it). Sometimes provided that the drive is detected at all...

However, please check for things such as bent connector-pins on the CD-R drive and on the Mobo's PATA-connector (where you plug in the ribbon, FYI)

But the reason can also be because of the ribbon itself. I've seen customers failing with their setups because of the so called 24-wire ribbon, which nearly looks exactly like the 40-wire ribbon. If there is a newer ribbon laying around; maybe you should try it instead?

And finally, the fact that the CD-R disc-tray can open/close and that the LED is flashing and such?
Sorry to say, but that is only indicating that the CD-R has power, and has more or less nothing to do with the detection problem.

Back