Jan 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. motherboard abit nf7-s
    ram 2 1 gig sticks pc 27000
    gforce 6200 512 vid card
    500 watt psu
    160 gig WD 7200 rpm
    amd athlon xp 2600 1.9

So i added new ram pc 2700 1 gig ram 2 sticks and my computer locks up and restarts randomly and will sometimes loop when starting up, it doesn't matter what im doing it will do all of these!!

When i put back in my old ram 256 and 512 my computer goes back to being stable!! So to me once i hit 1 gig of memory the computer locks up or restarts whenever it wants to!!

All my motherboard drivers are old and same with bios, So basically to sum it up i use whatever drivers that come with the motherboard cd!! I don't know how to upgrade these im kinda of a noob lol.

2. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 823

It looks like you should be able to run up to three sticks of PC 27000 on this motherboard so that shouldn't be the problem. So we should probably start with the premise that the new memory may be defective or there's something out of whack with the BIOS settings for your new memory. Might want to set memory timings to auto in the BIOS for starters and reset the processor to stock speeds if you're overclocking. Then you need to run memory diagnostics by starting with one of the two new sticks of memory ... if the first passes remove it and test the second. Hopefully, this will give us some indication of where the problem lies.

3. jeremy1982

jeremy1982 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 69

yes 3 sticks of pc 2700 is compatible! The new memory is good i tried it on my dads machine and he has no problem with it at all!! Im not overclocking anything. Ive ran a memtest 86 and both sticks came back with no errors!! Ive tried just using one stick and still locks up basically tried all variations!!
    Ive also tried a pc 3200 ddr 400 by its self and it still locks up and restarts on its own and that stick of memory is good since it came out of my dads machine!!

All i know so far is that its a software issue since testing the ram and came back good!! Only thing i can think of is that the bios and motherboard drivers need to be upgraded. I resinstalled windows added drivers from the cd's i have.

What gets me is that right now im using 1 sitck of 256, 1stick of 512 both pc 2700 and the computer works great until you add one of those 1 gig sticks and restarts locking ups start to occur!!

4. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 823

There is a reference to addressing DRam compatibility in one of the BIOS for your motherboard. Would be good to know what version of BIOS you're currently running before downloading an update from the ABit site. The mainboard tab on CPU-Z will show the version or you can check it directly in the BIOS itself. NF728 is listed as the last BIOS release and would likely be more current than the original distribution CD.

This is the url for the site I'm referencing ABit NF7-M

5. jeremy1982

i downloaded everestt home edition and this is what i got for bios version was Pheniox technologies, ltd 6.00

SMbios version 2.2

yeah I got that website to with the drivers i haven't tried it yet!!

6. jeremy1982

So i updated my BIO's and problem solved no more locking up!! It took me while to understand on updating bios but i got it and figured it out!! Thank you to all of you that helped me out really apreciatte it!!