Comp will not start.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
:mad: Have tried to list my specs in my profile....but im not so hot on computers to say the least. After installing some new componants (ATI 9500SE AGP card and a USB 2.0 + fire wire PCI card) computer was running fine. Then it informed me that updates were ready to install.... (4 security updates installed) then i restarted the comp as requested excepet it will not start. The hard drive kicks in (i think thats what the clicking noise is..) detectcs both DVD drives and floppy drives, but then just sits there running its fans... No signal is being sent to the monitor as still in standby. USB ports have no power. Have tried turning on / off....unpluging from mains......taking out all new hardware and putting pack in.....cleaning out dust (although not to dusty in there).....starting up with windows CD in drive and still NOTHING!!! Its dead! :knock:

Please help me out if you can......would like to give my laptop a break from runing nearly all day.
Many Thanks
Nick

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Sounds like your psu may have failed.

Try a different psu and see how it goes. Hopefully that`ll sort it. If it doesn`t, then it`s probably something more serious.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

I agree with H².
What video card did you have before upgrade?
Generally video cards are a big consumer of power and
quite often can take an edgy PSU over the edge.
Have you tried rolling back to previous video card?

G'Luck

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys......bit busy this weekend but will give it a wirl later....dont have a spare psu (take it thats a power supply unit?) but do have a voltmeter......could i test the outputs from the PSU to see if this is the problem?

Thanks again
:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back