TechSpot

Compaq 1200 laptop fan stops after POST

By bwta
Aug 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi
    Got me a Compaq !200 laptop and after the post completes the fan stops working and the laptop just gets hotter and hotter.
    I recently put in a Intel celron running at 850 MHz the original was a Intel celron also but it ran at 633 mhz
    Any help is appreciated Need any info just ask i was'nt sure what to provide

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

You could have damaged the motherboard when you changed the CPU. Have you repaired laptops before? Have you tried resetting the bios?

3. bwta

bwta TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi

I'm positive i didnt damage the mother board and yes i'v repaired laptops before to reset the bios you just remove the cmos battery for about 10 secs right if soit didnt work Is there a way to manualy control the fan?

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

No there is no way to manually control the laptops fan. The fan control is controlled by a heat sensor on the motherboard (usually under the CPU) and the bios. Ideally, the fan should come right on high when the laptop is first started, then stop for a while maybe a minute or 2 and turn on and stay on again until the laptop is turned off...

It is possible that you accidentally damaged the motherboards heat sensor when you changed the CPU