Compaq 7470 and new hard drive

By cherokee69
Oct 19, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Installing a new hard drive in a Compaq 7074 but the quick restore CD's won't work. How can I install the programs that were loaded when the computer was new. The Quick Restore won't start after rebooting.

Thanks
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I would try contacting Compaq and see if you can't get some more disks. That would be the easiest thing to do. If that doesn't work you could always try Norton Ghost and make a copy of your current drive and put it on the new one.

BTW :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:
  3. cherokee69

cherokee69 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I thought about ghost already but the old drive crapped out and even bios doesn't recognize it...that's the reason for the new hard drive.

Thanks
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

You say the CDs do not work - What exactly are they doing?
  5. Corky

Corky Newcomer, in training

Installed a Maxtor 30GB 7200rpm on my Compaq 7470 using the original compaq restore disks (w98/se) and had absolutely no problems. I did not use any of the software that came with the drive. Just set the jumper for Master and plugged it in. Has been working great.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.