Compaq Bad News !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariee

Hi, i was thinking about upgrading my COMPAQ destop. I was going to add a better RAM. But today i heard that you can not upgrade COMPAQ computers. Is this ture ?

If you call Compaq direct and pay out the ying-yang.. No jk

Try pricewatch.com or something like that, and you can purchase RAM or other parts, just make sure you know what you are getting... Alot of times it is very specific...

I'm not sure what you mean by "better ram", but you can upgrade your computer's RAM.

OEM systems like compaqs can sometimes be very picky about RAM (due to cheap motherboards). also it would be best to replace the existing RAM rather than add to it to further avoid compatibility issues.

if you goto a site like crucial.com and use the memory selector, you can find compatible RAM sticks. (note the model# then look around for the best price)

:wave:

i mean 1 GB ... i have a 256 mb one at the moment

i tryed that and i was hoping to find a DDR RAM for about £20 .. i find ones like that on ebay

as long as your PC can handle 1GB then I don't think you'll have any problem.

I wouldn't recommend buying any generic RAM though. If I were you I would get "value" series RAM from a good brand like Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, or Patriot. OEM systems like compaqs won't benefit from the high performance models, so save your money and stick with the value models.

good luck :)

TY i will hoping fully be getting a new one. Now i got to ask my mum and dad. *dreds moment*. And then i will finaly be able to play warcraft !!!! w00tage

good luck, just listen to what Cody said, as long as it can handle it... make sure it's compatible from type to latency

Hi i have just found out that i can you this type of RAM

184-Pin PC2700 (333MHz) DIMM

i am looking for a cheap one. (1GB-512MB). When i say cheap i mean within £30. i was just woundering if any one new where i might be able to buy 1 from. I have looked on ebay but it only goes up to 512MB. Like other post have told me to get a value RAM where can i buy these from ?

i have just come back from my holiday.. and no one has posted on my thread. Please can someone post a website where i can buy a

184-Pin PC2700 (333MHz) DIMM

ram from

Hi sup…
I goggled around a bit and found that this site that has what you need…

This is one stick of 1gig ram… you can still keep you old 256 and join it with this 1gig ram stick… (Supposing you have 2 ram slots and that you 256 ram stick is a Pc 2700 as well)….

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~49854~WW~/1GB DDR333 PC2700 MEMORY.htm

Or you can get rid of the 256 stick and get two 512mb stick and put them in dual channel…

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~64491~WW~/512MB DDR333 PC2700 MEMORY.htm

hope that helps… good luck

yes you can upgrade, however some makers like DELL like to use propritary parts. I am not sure about compaq. When upgrading, use matched sticks. IT's much better. Sell the old sticks.
Read the FAQs for upgrading tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back