Compaq EVO n610c trying to reinstall windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a compaq evo that was running Windows 2000 professional. I tried using a "decomissioning disk" from my company to remove the proprietary software. When I tried booting under the windows booting status bar it says windows could not be started, missing or corrup file winnnt\system32. then it gives me 3 options but the options do not work.

I've replaced the memory per HP and still have the same error,

I was able to download and install windows 2K pro from the floppy drive, when it goes to the "welcome to setup" screen.

My three options are
Set up windows 2000 now press enter, When I do that it wants to pull from a CD rom drive which does not work
If I try and "repair" it says that that fails press f3 to quit.
then last option is to quit set up and press f3 this one just tries to reboot the system off hte hard drive.

I am at my wits end. WIll reformatting the HD do any good (start clean) or should I just throw it out the window.

Thanks
Keri

Too many possibilities for failure on that old unit (not to mentin the decommissioning)... optical drive, inadequate memory, cable, plug, or socket, or bad hard drive... That machine is what? seven to nine years old... or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back