Compaq Presario 6000 and Windows 7, can't change resolution

I upgraded to Windows 7 and now can't change my screen resolution. No drivers online to update and computer store says there is no video card available to upgrade this and I should buy a new computer. Has anybody else found a solution to this problem. I only use this computer for homework and Internet searches - no gaming.

You should always run this when upgrading to Windows 7 and it would warn you of any problems.

Is this the desktop or notebook, if it is a desktop you should be able to change the video card, if it is a notebook then there is little you can do.

Paris if you will click the start button and type DXDiag in the search box the DxDiag utility will run. If you would push the "Save All Information" button the utility will save a file called DXDiag to your desktop with all kinds of info about your computer. You can then attach that file to your next post, and it'll be much easier to help you. :)

I did a quick search for Compaq Presario 6000. If you have a computer as old as I as I think you do then there may not be drivers for your video card especially if it is built into the motherboard. If you upgraded from Windows 98 then a better choice for an upgrade may have been to Wndows XP cause you're processor is just gonna be slow with Windows 7 and you probably can't put 2GB of memory on that old motherboard so Windows 7 is simply gonna be slow on that computer. Now I have made many assumptions in the last paragraph, but if you'll post the DXDiag file we may be able to be more precise.

Simply running the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor i gave the link for in post 2 will tell you what incompatability problems your PC has with Windows 7. And the DXDiag as Cinders has suggested will help us to confirm what, if anything, can be done to overcome the problem.

Report back with the information the Upgrade Advisor tells you and attach the DXDiag report to your next post.

Back