Compaq Presario CQ40 laptop won't repair or run XP install

Hi,
I'm trying to repair/reformat a laptop. It's a Compaq laptop, Presario CQ40. It originally had Windows XP but started giving a blue screen. I can't get anything to work now. Windows won't boot, all it gives is a registry error (software/hive). When I try to boot from the Windows XP disc, it starts the XP boot load, but right before it gets to XP Recovery Repair screen, it gives another blue screen. It says "Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C1E524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). I don't know what to try. Several internet searches have suggested turning the SATA to Legacy in the BIOS, but I have nothing in the BIOS that relates to SATA. I'm stuck. Please help!

Blue screens can be caused y a couple of failing devices; HDD and RAM are most common. Substituting system components with good ones is a cheap way to solve problems like this. It's easiest to start with the system ram and you can easily eliminate the faulty component that way.

Back