TechSpot

Compaq Presario CQ61 screen goes dull and on and off when moved

By terry5880
Feb 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. hi all got compaq presario cq61 when imove the laptop screen i get picture etc but sometimes it goes off when moved and very dull but can still just about see whats going on .. could this really be a loose wire knowing how tight the wires normally are or an inverter problem please help

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Sometimes the LCD inverter wires become loose or pinched in the LCD cover hinges

3. terry5880

terry5880 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 321

ah ok i will open and have a look if wires seem fine then would it def be the inverter or could it be another problem .. as when moving it goes completely off sometimes and other times its reall dull and can still make out whats on screen just ? thanks for quick reply magic your a diamond

4. Tmagic650

Does an external monitor display okay?

5. terry5880

yea it does mate

6. Tmagic650

So it is an inverter or LCD problem for sure

7. terry5880

what u mean LCD problem mate .. so like if i check wires and not that , then inverter 90% chance but if not then whole screen need replacing

8. Tmagic650

It is possible the the LCD backlight assembly is burned, but the inverter or it's connections are the first things to check

9. terry5880

ok found the problem he big wires /plug that goes from the left side under keyboard 1 end plugs into inverter other bit goes under screen somewhere ..im thinking to the topwell everytime i touch the wire near the plug and under the metal hinge on left it goes off and on there is no cut in wire so thinking faulty wire can these wires be bought and what are they called please

10. Tmagic650

It's called the video cable from the LCD display to the motherboard. You may be able to get the entire cable from EBay or the manufacturer HP. The internal wires aren't sold separately

11. terry5880

yea just found a few on ebay thanks for quick response once again magic ty