Compaq Presario RAM upgrade

By phlip67
Jul 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello;

I have had a Compaq Presario 1500 laptop for about 2 years now, and I am quite un-satisfied when it comes to multi-tasking several applications at the same time. Sometimes it is so slow that I cannot minimize a full-screen application to read up on something on the net. I currently only have 256 megs of ram, but I read on the internet that tihs model could have up to 1 gigabyte. This is great, but therein lies my question. The laptop has two ram slots, one of which has been empty since i got the computer. Could I get a gig of ram and still keep the 256y meg stick as an added boost? or is the 1 gig the maximum for both slots?
  2. woody1191

woody1191 Newcomer, in training Posts: 638

3. insoman

insoman Newcomer, in training Posts: 158

if you are tec minded and the presario has a 915 intel chipset just do a pin mod!!
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

you can put at least 2gb, but read the ram guide in the guides forum first.
  5. phlip67

phlip67 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 26

Thank you for your replies. i'll be sure to look into them.

@ woody: Thank you for the links. I have been looking at RAM here at canadian retailers, and it's $20 for 512 mb, but it's probably not as good quality as the $25. then again, I don't know much about RAM, and what the difference is between the speeds and whatnot. all i know is that for an additional $15, you can get 677 mhz ram instead of 400mhz or something.

@ insoman my computer is like 5 years old, and I believe the 915g chipset is for desktop PCs (mine is a notebook).
  6. woody1191

7. phlip67

phlip67 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 26

alright, thanks for the link.

Downloaded siw, used it, and the situation is sadder than i thought.

.. 133 mhz is the fastest i can go. rofl.

would the lower frequency make it cost less? do they even make 122mhz ram any more?
  8. woody1191

No i should have said you have to double the number it shows, DDR stands for Double Data Rate - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM here is a link to read about it.
    Anyway the number it shows you double it and that is your maximum Bus Speed for your RAM. So i did link you the top RAM you could buy in the first place and now that is confirmed.

Your Maximum RAM - DDR 512mb PC2100 @ 266mhz (2 cards Max)

I don't know any Canadian Retailers so just look for what i said.
  9. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.