Compaq r4000 motherboard issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busterface

hello,
I have a compaq r4000 laptop giving me some trouble. the computer was running just fine a couple days ago but when i turned it on today, the computer gave me a beep code of 3 beeps and a blank screen. I'm not exactly sure what happened but i think it could be a video issue. i tested the hard drive, power supply, and memory, all seem to be working just fine. I'm hoping it's not a motherboard issue but if that's the case than i will change it but I need to know for sure. any help would be much appreciated.

3Beeps Base 64 KB Memory Failure Memory failure in the first 64 KB.

Information on HP Beep codes found here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=ca&docname=bph07107&dlc=en

Try removing both Power Sources (Charger and Battery)
Disperse all internal voltage, by holding the ON button down, for 30secs
Locate and remove the Ram card(s)
Blow out any dust
Re-insert the Ram card(s) securely
Plug the charger back in (Battery may remain out, whilst testing)
Turn on

Did it work?
If so, turn off, and refit battery, and hopefully reply back with the good news

OK, i tried it but unfortunately the same problem exists. also i do not have access to another set of ram and i'd hate to go buy a new set to test the problem unless you are confident it would solve it. would you suggest i do so or if there are any other trick i should be aware of?

It works!

OK, i tried it again and this time held the power button for about 2 minutes and now works. thanks. You just saved me a lot of freakin monies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back