Comparing CPUs

abbasi

Hi all,

There are many types of CPUs, like Pentiume, Atom, core 2 duo, core iX (X = 3,5, ....), But I always don't look at them this way! I always look at their speed which in GHZ unit and then compare them with each other.
For example when some CPU is in type of 'X' with 2 GHZ of speed and another one is in type of 'Y' with 2.2 GHZ of speed, I say the second one ('Y') has better speed and also better performance.

Is it a correct think?

Thanks

You can take a core 2 duo at 3ghz and the newest core i3 at and make the speed of the i3 to 2ghz and they might have about the same performance. so no ghz doesnt really matter when comparing them with each other like you are. there are so many different factors to consider like what generation the cpu is. if you dont want to do all the leg work of researching you can use this website to help you out. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/processors,6.html

When you compare CPU's, there are so many factors you have to account for that comparing just the GHz means nothing, if you were just going to look for the processor with the highest clock speed, then you would run into the FX 9590 because its clocked at 5ghz, however that does not make it the most powerful processor.

Normally you need to look at charts like LNCPapa and dustin_ds3000 posted above to see where a processors performance lies, and at the amount of cores the processor contains. Some processors have better performance to where an 6 Core processor at 4.ghz might perform as well as a 3ghz 4 core just because each core is more powerful than the 6 core processors cores.

Back