Comparing laptops

By RYANDERSON4
Dec 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi everyone,

Right now im looking at 2 different laptops and id appreciate some input on them as to which one I should pick.

The first one is the samsung series 5 ultra touch and the other is the hp envy touchsmart, both these lapotops have basically the same specs (i5, 8gigs ram, touchscreen, $899) but the key difference between the two is that the samsung has a 128 gb SSD and the HP has a 500gb hardrive with a 32gb ssd hydrid. I've always thought the stand alone SSD would be much faster and thats what I care about at this point I can handle the lower amount of storage on the laptop just using a external harddrive.

So what im asking is that opinions on these 2 computers and any tips about this SSD/HDD hybrid drive

Thanks in advance
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,746   +156

I would go with the HP(y)
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,351   +301

The specs for the HP are clearly better (re the HDD) - - BUT I personally dislike HP products and would recommend you continue your search.

Just last spring my Toshiba Laptop died a horrid death and I elected to replace it with a Dell N5050 in which I am very pleased for my usage (ie: non-gamer).

Also totally disinterested in the Touch Technology (ie: my laptop is not a public kiosk device :) )
  4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,450   +619

SSD > hybrid. Better speed, better battery life.
  5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,352   +122

I would get the Samsung for sure.
    It does depend on how much storage space you want but an SSD is going to be a lot faster.
    Plus I think that Samsung comes with a lot less crap.
  6. Zeutrinox

Zeutrinox Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

Get the HP.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.