Compatability check

By Spedazzle
Sep 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello all, as you could probably tell by what I'm about to post, I'm new to the scene. I would like to just build a test PC if you will, which will run Arma II, and possibly III :D on medium-ish graphics. Could you please help me on this venture? I've selected what I've been recommended by lots of people, but it all seems too cheap to be a reliable build.

The total price (Including a £5 fan) came to £333.77. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get upset when I set it up to find out parts are not compatible for my setup. Any help would be appreciated!
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,855   +342

IDK if that power supply is dependable or not, I would go with a common name brand.

Also, that graphics card is meh....I would avoid the x450 at all costs...
    But its all compatible. nice job.
    Spedazzle likes this.
  3. Spedazzle

Spedazzle Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

4. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

• The FX 6100 is only £7 more, that's definitely worth it.
    • Don't know much about Be Quiet PSUs, but for a lower price you could get a Seasonic based XFX PSU, comes with a 5 year warranty and is very solid. If you want a bit more power in case you upgrade your components in the future then there's also a 550W version (couldn't find it on ebuyer).
    • The RAM you picked is rated at 1.65V, you're better off with a 1.5V kit especially when it's the same price.
    • I'd really recommend looking out for used graphics cards on ebay, for the price of a new 6670 you can get a GTX 460 1GB (non-SE edition) or 6850. They are mid-range gaming cards will give you far, far superior performance to a 6670.
    Spedazzle likes this.
  5. Spedazzle

6. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Hmm £110 doesn't sound like a great deal for a 6850, you can get a 6870 for £10 more. Depending on your resolution you can expect to play on medium-high settings for the most demanding games with a 6870 and it should max less demanding ones.

Build looks very good for the price, I'm surpised the whole thing costs as much as one of my GPUs :D
    Spedazzle likes this.
  7. Spedazzle

Aha, I know right, being a student 'n' all, it's hard for me to rake up the money at the moment. Once I get back to work (Fractured my knee) I'll probably go bigger and wilder.

Thanks for the suggestion too mate, I'll have too look into it

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.