TechSpot

Compatibility check/recommendations for my first build, anyone?

By ENDZYM3
Jun 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I'll use it primarily for gaming and music production, but for now, let's stick to the gaming part.

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 922
    MOBO: ASUS M4A89GTD
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970
    GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin
    PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5

Monitor: ASUS VH197D Black 18.5"
    Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4

I already have a decent mouse that I use with my lappy.

Are these compatible?
    I checked already, and everything seemed to be in place, but I'm also a bit of a n00b, so I could be way off here.
    And lastly, any recommendations/part swaps for a cheaper build while also maintaining a comparable level of power?

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

That PSU is quite a bit of overkill, unless you're considering multiple video cards in the future.

An 18.5" monitor would make me so very, very unhappy. I had two 19" wide screens and got rid of them both almost immediately. 22" is about the sweet spot for the 1680 x 1050 computer 16:10 standard, and you should bump up to 23" if you're going to get a 1920 x 1080P 16:9 ratio panel. There just isn't enough screen height in the smaller panels.

I tried plugging a desktop mouse into my lappy and it didn't work. Don't know if the reverse is true. I didn't try very hard though. Try it first.

You should have enough posts to link your parts choices. Being able to click to the product pages helps us a bunch.

3. ENDZYM3

ENDZYM3 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 43

I picked an 18.5" to keep the price down, and because I think my 15 inch laptop is rather decent.
    My friend has a 22 inch monitor, and to me, it's overkill. I don't need anything excessive.

What wattage should I go for with my PSU then?

4. Tank

Tank TS Rookie Posts: 37

Even with a 600 watt PSU you would have a ton of head room.

5. ENDZYM3

Okay then, swapping out parts.

6. ENDZYM3

I didn't buy a laptop mouse, just a very general deal that I picked up at the nearest Fry's.

7. ENDZYM3

Okay, so captaincranky mentioned that the PSU was overkill, so I went with a 650W instead.
    But I want to overclock my rig as much as possible. Doesn't that mean that I'll need more power?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.