TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Compatibility check/recommendations for my first build, anyone?

By ENDZYM3 ยท 6 replies
Jun 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I'll use it primarily for gaming and music production, but for now, let's stick to the gaming part.

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 922
    MOBO: ASUS M4A89GTD
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970
    GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin
    PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5

Monitor: ASUS VH197D Black 18.5"
    Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4

I already have a decent mouse that I use with my lappy.

Are these compatible?
    I checked already, and everything seemed to be in place, but I'm also a bit of a n00b, so I could be way off here.
    And lastly, any recommendations/part swaps for a cheaper build while also maintaining a comparable level of power?

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 12,023   +2,058

That PSU is quite a bit of overkill, unless you're considering multiple video cards in the future.

An 18.5" monitor would make me so very, very unhappy. I had two 19" wide screens and got rid of them both almost immediately. 22" is about the sweet spot for the 1680 x 1050 computer 16:10 standard, and you should bump up to 23" if you're going to get a 1920 x 1080P 16:9 ratio panel. There just isn't enough screen height in the smaller panels.

I tried plugging a desktop mouse into my lappy and it didn't work. Don't know if the reverse is true. I didn't try very hard though. Try it first.

You should have enough posts to link your parts choices. Being able to click to the product pages helps us a bunch.

3. ENDZYM3

ENDZYM3 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 43

I picked an 18.5" to keep the price down, and because I think my 15 inch laptop is rather decent.
    My friend has a 22 inch monitor, and to me, it's overkill. I don't need anything excessive.

What wattage should I go for with my PSU then?

4. Tank

Tank TS Rookie Posts: 36

Even with a 600 watt PSU you would have a ton of head room.

5. ENDZYM3

Okay then, swapping out parts.

6. ENDZYM3

I didn't buy a laptop mouse, just a very general deal that I picked up at the nearest Fry's.

7. ENDZYM3

Okay, so captaincranky mentioned that the PSU was overkill, so I went with a 650W instead.
    But I want to overclock my rig as much as possible. Doesn't that mean that I'll need more power?