Compatible Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! Not exactly sure if this is the area for posting this question so let me apologize in advance if it is not. I wanted to make a go of building my first computer and wanted to make sure of the compatibility of the parts. If you see something I may be missing or have any other advice as to the build please let me know as it would be greatly appreciated. My major aim for this computer is general purpose goofing off with a computer. Playing games, listening to music (burning), watching a dvd or 2, some school coursework and being able to upgrade as needed for the future. Here is a list of what I have in mind. Another question is sufficient power from the power supply and cooling, if this rig were taken as is without OC'ing. I am not listing OS, Sound Card, Speakers, Keyboard, or Mouse. My budget is going to limit me to about $1200.00 roughly. I would really appreciate any feedback or advice you can give on this, thanks.

Case-1X- RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail
newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16811156062

Mobo-1X- DFI LP UT 790FX-M2R AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813136041R

PROC-1X- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6400CZBOX - Retail
newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16819103228

Vid Card-1X- EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16814130319

HD-1X- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16822136131

RAM-2X- Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2LL/2G - Retail
newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820104019

dvd burn-X1- SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S203N - OEM
newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16827151154

dvd drive-X1- Sony NEC Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM
newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16827101131

Go for it and come back and tell us how it went. Sometimes the best way to learn is by "trial and error"...

Many times, the power supply that is provided with the case are not of the quality needed for steady output. Either find out the brand and model of the power supply, or buy the case and the power supply separately as the EVGA GeForce 8800GT is intolerant of power dips and surges.
I think you would be better off with another optical drive than the Sony NEC series. Consider another Samsung, or Pioneer, ASUS, Plextor, LG, or LiteOn.

See Raybay,
I resurrected another unanswered post for you :haha: While I agree with your assessment the EVGA GeForce 8800GT, the Sony NEC series of Combo Optical drives aren't that bad

Depends upon what you mean by Sony NEC series of "Combo Optical drives aren't that bad."
The work well, and are speedy, when they work. Unfortunately there are a number of them in my pile of no good units that failed too early. Right there along with the HP, HLDS, Acer, and a few others.
In our experience, the ones I listed are likely to last twice as long as the sony, collectively. Of course there will some Sony units that will last two or three years. But too many fail, and fail early, before the warranty expires. They fail very quickly if used to perform a lot of burning tasks. The cost of replacing them under warranty is nearly as high as getting a LiteOn from Wal-Mart.
When the Samsung lasts longer, and costs less, I am recommending he go with an additiona Samsung.

Samsung products seem to have improved greatly over the last few years... I have a couple of old HP burners that still work from 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back