TechSpot

Completely Format Hard Drive and Some Partitioning Questions

By Punkid
Sep 6, 2009
  1. i want to completely format my HDD so that even its partitions are all goe,i want it to be like when it was new ( other than the fact that there is still physical data on the dirve)...

also i will be hopefully getting a 1tb drive today, probably a caviar black....i wanted to know what is the best partitioning tool i can use and what are the best partition sizes for a 1tb drive

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Windows boot disk or Acronis

3. Punkid

Punkid TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 421

can acronis completely erase?

4. raybay

Format with Windows, Create up to four partitions with Windows
    or
    Create partitions with Acronis.

5. tweakboy

tweakboy TS Guru Posts: 467

During Windows install delete that partition and delete yours and re partition and format and move on with the install process my friend,, gl

6. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Windows install disk will do the basics (which sounds like might be all you need) but fyi.... Gparted is a popular freeware partition manager that would also work.See How to boot from a G-Parted-Live-CD to learn how to download/build it. Then refer to the online Gparted documentation

7. Punkid

ok thanks, might be leaving in an hour to buy the hard drive

8. Punkid

ok ive got my new hard drive,copied everything to it and i want to format my old one,i deleted the partitions from the windows disk manager thingy and this is what i got

[​IMG]

look at Disc 1 , one part says unallocated and one says free space????what the hell i want it to be jst one piece of unallocated drive

9. raybay

Don't delete
    Use a Windows disk to cold boot, then format, then quit.

10. Punkid

nevermind, i did it with acronis disk suite , worked fine...thanks anyway tho

11. raybay

And your total cost was how much? Did you buy the disk, or get it from a download...

Did all of the files work?

12. Punkid

i downloaded the software

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.