Component connection on VCR/DVD combination player

Hey everybody, I just purchased a Toshiba sdv398kc2 VCR/DVD combo player and hooked it up to my HD television through a simple composite connection (my television has no S-Video in). However, my tv has composite inputs and this dvd/vcr player has a composite out connection as well. As I understand it, this is not an HD DVD player and obviously not an HD VCR as those don't exist lol. So I was wondering if picking up a composite cable would be worth it? Do you think it will actually change the picture at all? I'd also need to switch my Xbox from composite to HDMI since there's only 1 composite input on my tv. Do you think it'd be worth buying $60 or so worth of cables?

Thanks

From my experience w/ setting my first DVD player, component cables (red, blue, green connections) produce better picture quality than composite (yellow connection). Haven't tried S-video, so can't comment on that. Looking over the manual for your player, DVD can output to either component or composite. The VCR can only output to composite.

I suppose you can have VCR on composite, DVD on component and XBOX on HDMI. Not sure how much cable you plan on buying, but $60 seems a lot. Take a look at Monoprice. I've bought DVI/HDMI and HDMI cables and HDMI switch from them in the past. Happy w/ my purchases.

Excellent Advice

Wow Monoprice is an excellent website, no middle man to deal with. If I end up overhauling my setup, I'll definitely be purchasing my cables and accessories from there. Thanks!

I have my old "tube" HDTV hooked up with component cables to receive 1080i (TV max.). I know you can get a 1080p signal from your xbox to your TV with component cables, they just don't transfer the signal as fast as HDMI (and no sound). Composite cables and S-Video can relay 480p max. Get a pair of component cables for $10-15 (DVD/VCR) and keep the HDMI on the Xbox.

Back