Component upgrade and 32bit to 64bit switch?

Mister_K

Component Upgrade + 32bit > 64bit switch?

Hey guys, not sure where exactly to post this but here i go.

As usual i come here to seek out professional help from you guys and every time i get the support that i need which i gladly appreciate. So here i am again asking for new advice.

First of all i would want to ask you if i should switch from 32bit windows to 64bit. I am not sure how i am going to go on about switch from 32 to 64bit and see if it is really worth it and if it will boost my PC's performace. I have 4GB of total RAM i believe not completely sure so i know that 32bit can only recognized 3.25GB of RAM so i am pretty much wasting the other 1GB of RAM by using 32bit...

I currently use my PC for movies, music and gaming. in-game video recording as well as using adobe photoshop, indesign, dreamwaver, flash and illustrator for my graphics work (CS5 package). I do have slight performance impact when using the CS5 software package but its not thing big only small laag which isn't effecting me too much.

The main point behind me wanting to switch is to squeeze out the most of my computer to get full performance when doing my design work or playing games.

Is switch 32bit to 64bit really worth it? Is it easy to do or do i need to send it off to someone professional?

My computer specs are the following:

PSU:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6070/imgp1066x.jpg
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7652/imgp1069k.jpg

The below screenshot includes:

BIOS, Chassis, Motherboard, CPU (speed, general properties, cache, motherboard properties, bios properties), power management, sensors (the temperatures are pretty average, you can give 5-10 degrees while on heavy use. The highest i get never goes past 50 degrees, idle is about 30-45), DMI info and more...

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6885/mycomputerspecspart1.jpg
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5854/mycomputerspecspart2.jpg

Memory Information (RAM etc..):

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1411/memoryvideo.jpg

Network Information (speeds):

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/130/networkinfo.jpg

Storage Information:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4530/storagebw.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7463/storage2n.jpg

CPUID:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4599/cpuid.jpg

I know that's a lot of information and some of it if not most of it is pretty much useless but i though you may be interested. If you need more information feel free to ask and il give it to your right away ;) (ofc not personal info xD hehe)

So overall here are my questions:

• Can i upgrade from 32bit to 64bit?
  • Shall i upgrade to 64bit? Is it really worth it or will be a performance loss or big hassle?
  • I never done this kind of thing before.
  • Should i overclock? I could seek professional help instead of me doing it (dont want to screw it up 66)
  • What components shall i upgrade? Graphics card, Processor, Motherboard or PSU. (I think 500W or 750W PSU would be good ^^)
  • Any other bits and pieces i should do?
  • Are there any bits and pieces that my computer is lacking in? Low RAM for example etc...?
  • Will i need to reinstall lot of programs so that they support 64bit version?

I love computers, i love looking into them and fiddling with them. I have a old computer which i took its fan out and wanted to put it in my "new" computer but i couldn't find any socket to plug it to + there isnt much space to fit the fan.

I also have spare graphics card, lame RAM sticks, and few other bits and pieces. I took the HDD out and had a trouble reinstalling and actually making it recognizable and with my poo knowledge it took me a week to figure it out since my step dads bro was busy (his more of a computer expert then me hehe ^^).. but i did it *yay*.

I have spent money on my kite gear so i am not loaded up and i am only 16 so yeh.. that said i could get a job since i only go to school 2 days per week ^^ (which is awesome! xD)

I would like to learn a lot more about building computers and its hardware so i guess overclocking the PC and putting new parts would teach me quite few bits and pieces.

PS:

I haven't included tags since the screen shots are fairly big and i didn't want to flood the forums. Also sorry about the big post and i hope you take time reading it since i would be soooooooooooooooooo........ grateful you cant even imagine :)

Below i will include a link if you would like to download a .txt file with my computer specs which have been gathered from EVEREST and there you will pretty much find anything. The file size is 271.kb and its exceeding by 0.71.kb so i cant upload it here....

[B]Here is the link:[/B]

[url]http://rs837tl.rapidshare.com/cgi-bin/upload.cgi?rsuploadid=155873135354983769[/url]
or
[url]http://uploading.com/files/b9f8d1bf/Report%2Bmy%2BPC%2Bspecs.txt/[/url]

Sorry about any grammatical or spelling mistakes, English is my second language :(

Thanks in advance :) hope to hear from you guys soon :) & any questions feel free to ask :)

[b]Edit:[/b]

Also i am reading through other topics and i know few questions i asked above such as 32bit to 64bit have been asked before i just wrote it since it was on my mind.

You'll need to reinstall an x64 OS in order to switch; there's no way around this.

You shouldn't have any issues IMHO, and using an x64 OS means you can upgrade your RAM later in the future without having to install an x64 OS at that point.

How much are you looking to spend on your PC in total? Also, will you be buying online or from retail stores?

As Rage mentioned, switching to 64 Bit should not be an issue.

You can probably get a stable OC on the 4200+ at about 2.6 - 2.7 GHz (@ ~ 1.5V) on air cooling. When OCing keep an eye on the temperatures and increase the FSB in small steps till you encounter BSODs or booting issues. There are plenty of guides available online with respect to overclocking the AMD 64 CPUs. Professional help is not required.

The 8600GT is fairly old. What kind of games do you usually play?

Will i need to reinstall lot of programs so that they support 64bit version?

All 32 Bit programs are supported on a 64 Bit OS. However, as you will be formatting and installing the new OS all the programs that you presently have on your system will be lost so you'll have to reinstall them.

Thanks for the information guys :)

I have a external HDD so i can just put most of the games, files on there while i reinstall my OS. I normally play CSS which isn't graphically intensive game but i also play World of Warcraft on max settings apart from shadow detail since it looks quite bad at high settings... When i am in raids i get roughly 15fps with maxed out settings + addons and without it i can get something around 20-30 fps.
While outside raids i get 30-50fps which isn't too bad.

I have 1 front case fan, 1 back case fan, one fan attached where my heat sink is or the heat exchange looking thing and ofc one in my PSU.... i got one spare one from my OLD PC but i dont have any space on my case to fit it in unless i cut out a hole lol + i was trying to find a socket on my motherboard to plug my old fan in but couldn't find one...

I don't have much money at this moment but Christmas is closing by and i will have around £200 to £300 (give or take) to spend on new PC upgrade. If i get a job + EMA (dunno still gotta sort EMA) then i will be able to get some good parts.

But all in all anything below 400 to 500 pounds nothing more.
I can also buy online or go to stores as long as they are near where i live. I dont really mind which ever has better offers...

Just two questions do i need to buy windows 64bit operating disc to install from? Also can i put the programs which are on my system currently and put them onto my hard drive so when i install 64bit version i can load the stuff back to my computer or will that be a problem?

Again thanks for the help guys :) Will need to research bit more about OCing and gather a list for parts that i should upgrade. I think if i go and switch to 64bit i will buy little bit more RAM if possible and diffidently get new PSU and Graphics card.

Oh... (me and my questions lol) was just wondering if i do OC whats the temperature i shouldn't go over, when those it mean i have OCed my PC too much? Is anything under 70 degrees good or?

Edit:

I only have two RAM slots >< s Also here is my pc status while playing CSS (max settings etc...)
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/5702/pcstatus.jpg

:)

I currently have:

Acer: 17.1 inch / (34x26 cm) Monitor
H: 31-81KHz V:56-75Hz
Model: AL1706
PAR: 5:4
Analog Input
Gamma: 2.20
DPMS mode support: Suspend, Active-OFF

I know its not a great monitor but its not too bad... i will need a new one but for now i think boosting my performance by getting GFX card etc... would be more suitable.

I will be getting iMAC G5 from my Collage since they getting the latest ones and the they will sell the old ones for under 100 pounds so if i get a connector i could use that monitor.

the monitor is 1650x1024 i believe or something along those lines.\

_____

So my plans are, get new graphics card as well as more RAM if possible (thats if i change to 64bit) and ofc overclock slightly... not too much from 2.2ghz to like 2.4 to 2.5ghz...

You'll need to flash the BIOS to revision 0602 on the mobo in order for the X2 555 BE to be supported.

The above build (esp. the GTX 460) look excellent.

thanks guys, i love you! Well yeh i mean thank! I couldn't be more happy :)

Thanks, i will write back how it will all go. Probs gonna change to 64bit and get upgrade by Christmas =P cant wait =p

Just one last question, will i need a new Computer case to fit it all in? I will take some picture in the morning of my case.. and see if i can find the make of it as well :)

Thanks again :)

You'll need to flash the BIOS to revision 0602 on the mobo in order for the X2 555 BE to be supported.

The above build (esp. the GTX 460) look excellent.

Ok so i have all the money just waiting for christmas for the graphics card, flashing BIOS means changing version of it right? Few months back i have reinstalled my PC and have updated the BIOS to the latest revision, is it possible to downgrade?

I am not really a BIG computer expert but i love learning new things since it is exciting and rewarding :D

Thanks in advance :)

It is, but having a newer BIOS version (provided it's not a beta one) is better than downgrading to an older one, unless the newer one gives you issues.

It is, but having a newer BIOS version (provided it's not a beta one) is better than downgrading to an older one, unless the newer one gives you issues.

Ah i see, thanks :) Well all i need to do now is get the parts and i am set :DThanks for the help, ordering tnight :D

So i have bought the following (grand total of £299.38 - £10.00 for postage / ordered next day delivery)

New upgrades consist of:

PSU
OCZ Stealth Xstream II 600W PSU - 3x SATA 2x PCI-E

CPU Cooler
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

CPU
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 6MB Cache Retail Box Processor

Case Fan
120mm Blue LED Fan - 4pin Molex Connection

GPU
Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card With H.A.W.X. 2 Game Voucher

Current Motherboard
Asus M4N78-SE

My question is, is there way i should install all of these? Is there any specific order or just install which ever? Also do i need to uninstall any current drivers before i install the new upgrades?

Never done this before and i don't wanna ***** things up since parents wouldn't be too happy ^^ Maybe you can direct me to a forum with installation guide or i guess there might be a guide that comes with the components. (I have watched few videos on how to install CPU/GPU but they were around 5 years old). I hope i don't need to change the voltages or anything hehe....

PS:

Sorry for keeping this thread bumped but i rather keep it all in one then just making different topics for each question i ask ^^

Oh and: Thermal Paste yay or nay?

Happy Holidays :))

Check out the system building sticky in the General Hardware forum.

Aight thanks :))

Edit:

So i have installed all the new components with few problems but all sorted. Had problems fitting the Artic Freezer but after 30+mins of fiddling i done it! After i powered it on i have uninstall all GPU driver and installed new one 260.99 or whichever is the latest and powered my PC off due to the front and back fans weren't working (power cables weren't either properly attached or i plugged them in wrong way....

Thanks for advices guys will be benchmarking soon and probably try to over-clock my CPU slightly and try to unlock the 2 other cores but not sure about that yet.... never done it before and i don't wanna spend more money on new components if these get damaged.....

Well that's my first computer built (kind of). :DD

Back