Computer Beep - not booting up??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
A while back - ( a few months) - a friend helped me build my own computer - it had a 8800gts 320, AMD X2 6000, hard drive, disk drive, and 2 gig of crucial ram (with this motherboard: http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/uk/mot...&pPRODINFO=Specifications&fSEARCHTEXT=NF-M2SV)
Anyway when it tried to boot it wouldn't with the two sticks in. Took one out and it worked. A while later the computer shorted out and i went to a independent pc shop and said the power supply i was sent was faulty, they then tested out the ram for me and said one stick was faulty. At the same time they changed the psu for me, i took the computer home - it worked on the one gig. Anyway i contacted ebuyer (which was were i bought the ram from) and i sent both sticks back and they agreed it was faulty. They quickly sent me a replacement that i got about 4 days ago. I put the ram in and all i got was the constant series of beeps. I checked beep codes and couldn't find anything so i presumed the ram was faulty again. I let the friend from earlier try the ram on his computer and it worked fine. In the meantime i decided to order a higher quality of ram because i believed the other ram was faulty for a 2nd time. It was this ram here: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...25z&product_uid=116755&spec_type=ZXh0ZW5kZWQ=
It arrived today and i put it in and again i got this repetitious beep when i try to power it up. The screen is black, the power button is on, all the fans inside the comp are spinning but i have this beeping. I went through the POST thing from the guide on this site with no luck (i haven't had the opportunity to test out the stuff on another motherboard etc). I am complelty stuck - at the moment the only things connected up to my comp is the ram, gfx card, psu, and processor. Yet i still get the beeping. Any help would be much appreciated, thxs.

I should mention that i haven't taken the processor out and tried it again, but i'm not sure if that the processor would be the problem but shall try this very soon, the ram i have tried with one stick, as well as made sure are in securely and the gfx card has been replugged in as well.

Try resetting the bios (CMOS). Set the bios to the default settings. The motherboard might be damaged from all the "defective" parts

Hi,
Thanks for the reply - well i reset the cmos thingy according to the manual, no luck, looked around at the motherboard completely stuck what to do, so i decided i should clean it as well see about any dust that may have got in from the changing of parts and cleaned the area where the ram goes in - lol, pushed the power button and i don't get any beeping, all the fans are spinning. Unfortunately the screen was still black, turned it off, tried again, still black and on the third time i was back to beeping. :( - Help.

If it's under warranty get a new one of the same type. That way you will be able to use the same memory and CPU

Please read the bios beep guide in the guides forum.

Also read the installing ram and troubleshooting guide in the guides forum.

Its not five short beeps - its just a continuous series of beeps. Yeah the gfx card is plugged into the power itself, and i have looked through the installing ram thingy - still thanks for the help but i think the motherboard is the more likely cause of the problems.

This one here:
http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/uk/moth...CHTEXT=NF-M2SV
It is just an average motherboard at best - bit annoyed about the lack of a firewire port which makes getting my footage on the computer slightly harder than it should be but i'll live. When i next upgrade the comp i'll obviously get a new one- other than that - if its covered by the warranty which it should be....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back