Computer Beeping During Intensive Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there,

my computer has begun beeping when under load on occaision, they are different lengths, but the same pitch, and can often after a while become quite continuous.

it first started whilst rendering in Maya - a 3d modelling/animation program I use for uni,

however I have found it also happening when I use a video converter, or when virus scanning starts whilst playing games, eg Wow.

I originally thought it could be the video card overheating and then beeping to tell me, however after it began happening whilst virus scanning I began to think it could be the motherboard or CPU's?

I have dual core intel 6600 I believe, an Nvidia 7950GX2 card. I have monitored the heat values of resting/active whilst playing games using speedfan, vidcard core 1 sits around 70 whilst resting, core2 around 66, both rising around 9 degrees when playing to 79 and 75.

there is then temp1 temp2 and temp3 and then core0 and core 1.

temp1 = 41
temp2 = 39 (these two changes under load, up over 50)
temp3 = -2???

core0 sits around 52, core1 also 52 resting, however when under load I saw them go over 70, which seemed to coincide with a small amount of beeping, I could be wrong though...

does anyone have suggestions as to what this could be?? I've opened the case and left a house fan blowing in, to try to keep it uber cool, but I've found it can still happen, however im not sure if it would have any real effect?

any help would be very very appreciated!

see attached screenshots of rest and load.

when under load it started beeping with core temps up around 74 and 75, I also noticed the -5V changes alot for some reason between load and rest... I read somewhere this could be a PSU problem?

thanks again, sorry for the lengthy post!!!!

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 9
  • comp rest.jpg
    comp rest.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 6
ok i just read "the complete BIOS beep guide"

award bios:

High frequency beeps while running Overheated CPU- Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.

It seems this would be my problem...?

I guess ill keep monitoring it, and have alook to make sure the fan is running, otherwise replacing it is the only option??

I would first try re-applying thermal paste between your processor and heatsink. If that doesn't work, replace the heatsink/fan with something better.

The siren sounds mean your CPU is overheating. Thermal paste, clean out your fan and make sure they all still work, dust out the inside of your chassis, etc.

From the pics you posted it would look like the power supply is bad +2.88v on the +12v line? -16.97v on the -12v line? I'm surprised it's even running. Try downloading Everest and see if it shows the same readings. Or if you have a volt meter you know how to use, check the voltages yourself. Use one of the 4 pin molexconnectors. Black wire is ground yellow wire is +12v. Red is +5. Voltage values should never be more or less than 10% of the stated voltage, although within 5% is optimal.

Other than the obvious power supply issues
Have a look at ArcticSilver Instructions for re thermal pasting your CPU
Also clean the old hardened paste from the CPU first with isoprophyl alcohol

Whilst the computer is open, it is also advised to clean out all dust, especially in the Power Supply and CPU Heatsink areas (hmm, just happens to be the areas in which you're having issues with ;) ), using high pressure air can

It looks as if this is "browning out" which will do the components considerable damage if allowed to continue. Replace the PSU with a quality unit of at least 450 watts and then review the results with Everest.
Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back