Computer being slow after format..

By Zolga
Dec 30, 2006
  1. Hi,

My computer is being slow even when i formatted the whole drive. Games slow, apps load slow. It sometimes does and sometimes doesn't.
    I formatted it because it was slow, but now it's virtually the same.. :S

Any Suggestions?

My system specs are..

Operating System - WindowsXP Pro SP2
    Processor - Intel Pentium 4, 3219 MHz (16 x 201)
    BIOS Type - AMI (10/20/04)
    Video Card - Radeon X850
    System Memory - 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    Hard Drives - C: 160GB D: 30GB E: 80GB
    Internet Connection - NTL Cable 2MB
  2. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 899   +15

your system has huge memory (2gb) and quite fast pentium 4 processor. The only possible answer is your HDD speed, cable, other hardware and of course yourself. btw what is your mobo?

If your harddisk is IDE and somehow the wires are vice versa, it become slow. try to use only 1main HDD and see how it works.

Defrag Drives, Cleanup, remove temporary internet files, Bootvis also could speed up abit your system. btw is there any antivirus running? usually some av software has a so called dynamic library scan or scheduled scan. sometimes they scan quietly without notice and of course it slows down your whole PC.
  3. Zolga

Zolga TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

I have no idea what my mobo is..

I have NOD32 Anti virus. but it started doing all this when it first booted up when i formatted. nothing was installed then :s
  4. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 899   +15

maybe you should open your case and see whats happening inside.....
  5. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

6. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

Download your latest driver set for your pc etc.
    Check whats causing the slowness. Common things are:
    -HDD primary driver (in Device manager) set to PIO mode
    -BIOS incorrectly set up > Use optimum setting if available or manually tweak it if you know what you're doing (happened to me a couple of times)
    -background processes too much?
  7. Sjbrand99

Sjbrand99 Banned Posts: 260

Is it home built? (I will assume yes due to the 2GB RAM on a P4). Have you done any "upgrades" that have slowed down your computer. If you can you should strip to bare components (Mobo 1 stick of RAM processor and your smallest HDD) from there see if you can get it running smoothly and add components 1 at a time to see if any are causing the problem.

Also, your RAM could be damaged and not working fully or even at all and so it is important to add RAM carefully because if it is a hardware problem then it is most likely that RAM is the cause.
  8. Zolga

When i opened it i got this (attached screenshot)

My ram is ok, ive already tried one by one, tried on system for a day or 2, ive checked both with memory tests. all came clean...

I think it's my mother board i don't really know, i'm going to buy a new one soon.

Attached Files:

9. Zolga

Bump?! Bump!?! Bump?!!
  10. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

from that pic it probably is from your mobo.. there's definitely something wrong here.

if you can find out any sort of info from the mobo by visual means, then maybe try a BIOS update as well as finding a driver set for it..

But i reckon if its still under warranty get it RMA'd and see if you can get a replacement one.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.