TechSpot

computer boots but usb dont work

By somewhatphoto
Dec 29, 2006
  1. im working on a dimension 9100 which has worked fine with no problems for the 6 months i have had it. today i tunred it on and it booted normally but non of my usb devices work and cause of that my mouse and keyboard dont work either.
    i thought the problem at first was static caused but the sub i have under my desk as i could her cracking as i unplug the power cable.
    so i ha ve moved the sub and turned the power of from the plug but non of the usb port still work.

2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,118

Uninstall them in the device manager, restart the computer and let the computer reinstall the usb controllers.

3. somewhatphoto

somewhatphoto TS Rookie Topic Starter

i would do but i have no keyboard or mouse control to uninstall in device manager since they are run from the usbs.

4. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

If you have a PS2 or serial connection try connecting an old mouse / Kb .
    Then try to get to your Bios and check for allowing Legacy devices on the USB controllers , and see if you have a setting to allow USB DOS support.
    If you can get back to your desktop you can attempt Fastco's advice.

5. somewhatphoto

somewhatphoto TS Rookie Topic Starter

i bought a pci express card with 4 usb ports to connect my mouse and keyboard all was plug and play and went fine.

i dont have a ps2 or serial connection for an old mouse all connects are usb (dam modern desgins)

i have uninstalled all my usb drivers and reinstalled they respond in power but the message device malfunctioned came up.

i can only acess my bios on start up but my keyboard doesnt kick in til my os has started up though i keep trying.

though i have got back into the system and ca work on it im still wanting to know why they arent working.
    also the usbs that have stoped working i cant unplug cause they are soldered onto the board

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.