Computer connecting to bonjour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdms96825

My daughter downloaded an update to iTunes. Following the update, I noticed that the computer (XP SP2) was attempting to connect to bonjour as server.

What does this mean and should I allow it?

Thank you.

It's a service that allows you to (for example) stream from one iTunes library to another. On Windows it's installed either by iTunes/QuickTime or if you download the standalone Bonjour installer.

It's safe to enable it.

Bonjour is primarily designed to find and auto configure Networked Printers (ie non-usb attached).
It operates much like an alternative to PnP. Exactly how much of port 135(name), 139.445(sharing)
this might duplicate (imo) is not certain.

in no case is it required and there are other alternatives (ie manual configurations)

It's a handy feature if there is one more than one person using iTunes in the household. It's not dangerous nor resource intensive as far as I know so there's no need to delete/deactivate it.

there is considerable network traffic.

just like securing a system required disabling
unused services, if Bonjour is not needed, then the standard recommendation is to disable it.

Bonjour barely uses the network & certainly not as much as you would like to believe. Furthermore it is very useful when used with iTunes so disabling is a hassle more than anything.

ok, you run Bonjour; I don't need it for iTunes (or anything else) so I've even uninstalled it :)

That's not the question here. dms96960 asks if the Bonjour service is safe, that's all he's asked & yes, it is safe. It's not about if it's useful for you or me.

I agree and reiterate that if it's not necessary, it's not needed, and what can be safer than not running it :)

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back