Computer crashes on XP splash screen

Jaosean

Hi im new here and i have a big problem

So about a week ago my computer started to crash when i turned it on it would get the the windows xp splash screen and then it seems as soon is its done loading computer would shut off. of course i would then try to turn it back on this time it would work seemed pretty weird to me so i did some research couldnt find anything.

As the week went on it went from one crash then turn on to 5 then 6 then 7 then 8 and now it is like 17.

I dont have a clue what could be causing this.. i really would like to know and get some help.

anyone have any idea to this?

If you can obtain another drive to test, and have the install disks, I would see if it works ok with another hard drive. That one may still be good enough to get the data off of it using it as a slave

Try booting into Knoppix and see if you can then access the drive. See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

Im not worried about losing any of my files. how am i sure that is my hard drive though? any way to check without removing it and finding a new one?

Perhaps more info would help others better help you!

Make and model of,

Motherboard
Processor
Memory
Video card
Hard drive (include free space)
Optical drives
Power Supply (if you can, report back with the reading from the sticker with values for +12V, +5.0V and the +3.3V rails in Amp)

Do you use a Window A/C connected to the same circuit, what about other rooms, how much load is on the receptacle you plug in your Computer, as in what else is connected?

You can use CPUZ or PC Wizard from CPUID.com to ID most of the components above.

Let us know.

You haven't responded to any of the suggestions, so how do we know what you know... we are not learning what works and what doesn't. This is not the way you get something working.

Veni, vidi, velcro
I Came, I Saw, I stuck around

or

To err, and err, and err is human.

sorry guys bought a new computer and now that isnt working.. my luck with computer just sucks ****. and i am doing the cpu id thing right now

Okay so make and model of stuff

i have an AMD athlon 64 X2 5200+
motherboard - idk what ya need but its a pcchips A15g
2048 MB of DDR2
Nvidia 8500 GT
power supply WT 575?

hmm any new help i have tried registry fix and stuff i know how to do it is definitely a hardware issue i would say

i went back to re-read your original post.. Could you clarify something i missed originally?
So about a week ago my computer started to crash when i turned it on it would get the the windows xp splash screen and then it seems as soon is its done loading computer would shut off.

Which is it?
> Is it actually crashing (you get a BSOD - Blue Screen of Death)?
> Or does the machine just power itself off?

As if just shutting off without a BSOD screen, I'd say its definitely a hardware failure

That is not the new system's components right?

With the little info given, my best advice is to take it in, at least the tech can see your components, how they are setup and so on, most places charge $30.00 for diagnostics!

PC Chips A15G is the same as ECS A740GM-M, ECS being the parent company; PCChips quality is well known with bad caps, tight DIMM sockets, heat issues, bad BIOS engineering and more.

Not sure what power supply you have but since a make and model didn't catch your eyes, I have to assume it weights no more than a few hundred grams!

Look at the motherboard after checking the following link, Capacitor plague.

Look for bulging capacitor /s as shown bellow:
Buldging_tayeh_caps_2.jpg

picture courtesy of Wikipedia

See if you can read the label on the power supply and give the information I requested in my first post.

Are the hardware, software and the operating system up to date?

Could be corrupt data on the hard drive but then again, it would not just fix itself.

Could be a bad drive, bad motherboard since it is a PCChips! or a bad power supply, memory .... I don't know!

Since it is Summer and your problems started recently, I lean towards the power supply but I can't see your system very well from my side of the screen.

Let us know how the capasitors look and if you can, provide the info for the power supply, have windows scan the drive for errors and report back.

PC Chips fixed their capacitor issues a year and a half ago, but like all discount motherboards I have seen, they do have plenty of other quality issues... and a bad reliability history.
They are good about replacing bad boards if you can provide a purchase history/

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Back in 2002/ 2003 I worked for this brokerage place auditing end-of-lease systems and building new systems for Tiger direct I believe, it was … with their "Fire" line of desktops, all we (they) used was PCChips or PCWave (some with even the CPU onboard as in soldered), come to think of it, to my surprise, we didn't have high return rate or dead out of the box (mobos came in box of 20s). These days with the technology, if the board is assembled well even with not top of the line high quality components, you see them run for years! We did 75 per assembly line a shift, 2 lines, 2 shifts, one shift did audits only so like 150 a day with no change overs ... they used Temps to clean the end-of-lease system before audits and next thing, they are on assembly line assembling computers, most with NO experience what so ever!!!

Drifting away here again ... full stop :)

Back