Computer crashes randomly with black and gray lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer is a custom made computer. I made it about a week ago with ordered parts from newegg.com

I would be doing anything, like for example browsing the web, or playing a game, or starting up and then suddenly it crashes.

When it crashes it either has black/gray lines all over the monitor or completely freezes and has a looping sound that sounds like a microwave.

These are the SPECS

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD (republic of gamers)
Graphics card: XFX/ATI RADEON HD 5770
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ965FBGMBOX
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996657
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

All drivers are updated for FYI.

Can anyone please help me with this problem?

gamobigz says....
has a looping sound that sounds like a microwave.

Have you tried to figure out which component may be making such noise, or is it coming out of speakers?

Also try checking system logs in Control Panel/Admin Tools / Event Viewer; may be something is being logged there which can help in giving clues what may actually be the problem.

I think it comes out of the speakers when it freezes. But rememeber i said that there is also another instance of a freeze where it just has black and gray lines all over my monitor but this time there is no beeping sound.

I wish i could show you guys how it looks like through photobucket but this form/thread has links blocked for new users who haven't posted atleast 5 threads i believe?

Welcome to ATI's world.

Driver issue (supposedly).
Well documented
AMD Game Forums
Widescreen Gaming Forum
Tom's Hardware

This "fault" has been with the HD 5xxx series since they came out. AMD are reporting that it's "isolated cases" and that they may, or may not fix it. It doesn't affect all cards even within the same model- I have had one card with this issue and RMA'ed it...the replacement card suffered no similar problems. Read into that what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back