TechSpot

computer crashes when burning dvds

By wiggins
Jun 30, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi everyone,
    if anyone can help advise me that would be awesome- i have an hp pavilion & i'm trying to burn avi files to dvd with nero 7- transcoding begins and somewhere between that and burning to disk the computer crashes & starts over. the odd time it will work and actually transcode and burn to my surprise. i'm curious if its bad ram or a device driver problem. the computer from the beginning of ownership has had problems but in the beginning i thought my downloading of bit torrents somehow i got a virus. almost anything i do- for example- click out of bit tornado, it will say 'blah blah has encountered a problem, it says this all the time. my biggest pain in the ***- like i said above-is crashing when i'm burning a dvd (doesn't do it when i burn an audio cd with nero) but also when i try to burn a dvd with 'sonic media' it crashes as well..if anyone can give me any pointers that would be great- i appreciate your time(even just to read all this.thanx Brent from Calgary, Canada
  2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

I would uninstall Sonic and Nero then reinstall only one of those programs and see if that helps, there might be a conflict. I would download CC Cleaner from here http://www.ccleaner.com/ and run Issues (the registry cleaner). Fix all issues found and give it a shot.
  3. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

with the crashes you probably have some system file corruption. run system file checker by putting the xp cd in the drive, open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow Also check to make sure your DVD burner is operating in DMA mode and not PIO. look in device manager under IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers. open the channel the drive is located on and check under the advanced tab.
  4. wiggins

wiggins TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanx guys

thanx for the advice guys-- i'll try those things and get back to ya..thanx alot for your time...you rule..... brent
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.