TechSpot

Computer crashes while playing games

By TheRockIng
Feb 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Alright so I don't know where to start or what information to put so I'll do my best :).

I got this computer (it's a laptop) about 8 months ago. Its a gateway nv57h13h

I have a intel 7 2670QM and an Nvidia GT540M with 1gb and 8gb of ram ( I don't know what to put else here :/) here's the link to my computer:
    http://ca.gateway.com/gw/en/CA/content/model/LX.WYD02.004

Anyway, when I got this computer I would play league of legends for hours straight no problem ( it would get a bit hot on the left side where the fan is but nohing more)
    Back in october my computer started closing down in middle of games and I thought nothing of it.
    A month ago my harddrive broke ( deleted a partition and it went crazy) and I sent it to Acer and they reformatted the computer and I got it like if it was brand new (everything up to date, etc...).
    But it still shuts down. Now I play League it closes A LOT, I just got BF3 and my computer runs it really smoothly on low and medium setting but 10 min in it just shuts down.

By the way I tried to open my case to get to the fan, I wasn't able to so I did it through the case as you can see the fan.
    Anyway any insight would be awesome, I'm just exasperated by this computer :(
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,843   +165

Looks like a nice laptop. "By the way I tried to open my case to get to the fan"... You didn't damage anything did you? Make sure you have All the Windows Updates including all the optional updates installed. I doubt if ACER did this at all... You sent a Gateway laptop to ACER for repair?
  3. TheRockIng

TheRockIng TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah, its acer that own gateway ( I think but it is affiliated with acer for sure). And I tried to open the case I couldn't take out some screws so I gave up :/. I have all the updates of everything. I tried running games with icepacks under my computer and ofc they were evenlopped in a rug haha ( just to see) and it lasted about 30 min longer.
  4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,954   +901

5. Tmagic650

Sounds like the CPU and GPU chips need new clean thermal paste and/or pads installed
  6. JC713

7. Tmagic650

If it is still under warranty replacing the thermal paste will void any warranty. This kind of repair requires someone that knows how to repair laptops well
  8. JC713

Ahh right I completely forgot that this was a laptop.
  9. Tmagic650

No problem, I've done this too... and I do repair all makes of laptops

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.