Computer crashes with fuzzy screen

bennyboy

Hey,

Built a new computer a few days ago and seems to run ok accept for the 3rd time now the screen has gone all fuzzy and as i cant select anything on screen i can only assume system has crashed too. This seems to happen randomly and normally after the computer has been running a while today it has been running for about 3 hours then did it.

Im running off the on board graphics card on my ASUS p8h67M-pro motherboard...i have a grapohics card which i will be using soon once the correct cables come for it.

Does anyone know if this is a faulty monitor or motherboard/graphics issue? im not running any games/video when this has happened also have a 450 psu.

infact the full spec is:

Motherboard ASUS P8H67-M PRO
Processer - i5 2300
Ram - Corsair 2x 4gb
Powersupply - 450W
Graphics Card - Gainward GeForce GTX 460
Monitor - LG Flatron W1946 16:9

I suspect at first look that your PSU is under powered but would need to check it. What is the model and make of the PSU. How many hard drives and what make are they and likewise for the CD/DVD drives. What version of Windows are you running.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply...

Im not sure what the make of power supply is, all i can tell you is it's 450W and came in a bundle which was £25 so they should tell you all you really need to know (cheap + cheerfull).

I have a 600W on order because the psu i have now doesnt have all the connectors i need for my graphics card.

I am only running 1 hard drive its a 2TB Samsung Eco-Green one. I am at work at the moment so im unable to give you exact spec for the things you asked but my disk drives:
1x Bluray/ DVD-RW
1x DVD-RW think this is 24x speed

I'll check when i get back...does this help you?

P.S. Im running windows 7 64bit

With the additional information you have supplied, especially concerning the cheap & cheerfull PSU, that it is the PSU that is letting the system down. As you are due to do an upgrade with graphics card and PSU I would wait and see how it performs with the new set up.

Hey man,

Just to update i received my new psu yesterday and that seems to have sorted the fuzzy screen but my computer still freezes, just without the fuzzy screen!! I have managed to narrow it down to when i play music. Its fine when i play video but when i play music it freezes after 15 mins or so. Am i looking a dodgy sound card?
Its a Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Xtreme Audio sound card.
My speakers are: Creative Inspire A500

Thanks

Am i looking a dodgy sound card?

Try removing the sound card and using the onboard sound. If freezing continues remove one of the memory sticks, if freezing still continues swap the sticks to test the other one.

Have you overclocked, if so reset everyhting to default that you altered.

I would also suggest installing this software to keep an eye on your temperatures. Set it up to display the core temperatures in the taskbar.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Back