Computer crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey.

I've a very annoying issue with my computer crashing.
Mostly it's whenever I'm playing a game, so far I've been playing Call of Duty: MW2 and World of Warcraft.

It happens like this - I startup the game, and it runs fine for 2-3 mins. Then the screen just freezes, and nothing happens. I'm able to power it off and start it up again. Sometimes it even crashes while loading windows.

I had a similiar problem before I bought a new motherboard - because we could not figure out what was wrong. I upgraded the motherboard, and everything was running great for a month.

I've tried to test the RAM - but it seemed like everything were okay.
I haven't tried to test the graphic card, or the processor.

Specs:

MB: M2A74-AM SE
RAM: DDR2 - 2x 1Gb
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3870
CPU: AMD Phenom Quad-core 2.2 Ghz

I've updated the graphic-driver today, and I've flashed the BIOS a couple of days ago, to see if any changes appeared - nothing.

I hope you can assist.

Regards.

Or the PSU or RAM?

Well I have few suggestions for you:

1. Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, and thoroughly review your system logs to see if you can find any clue to your issues.

2. To check RAM Download memtest 4 and run atleast 8 passes.

3. To check PSU you need a multimeter; check out all the connectors

4. Also check what are the temperatures of your CPU / GPU / motherboard etc.

Thanks for the fast reply.
I'm currently running the mem-test - and it has located 1 error, and the test is still running.
I talked with a friend of mine who told me, that when I was finished running multiple tests, I could try to take one of the blocks out, and run the test again, to find out on which block the error(s) were. From there, I could run with just 1 block until I bought new ones.

Regards.

Just a blanket statement here, but if the crashing only occurs during heavy usage (gaming) and slightly afterward, more than likely your video card / video drivers , and possibly the PSU.

Reason I say this is because Windows Vista and higher cache reads / writes to memory, utilizing it as much as possible all the time instead of just letting it sit there; therefore, you'd likely see the issue constantly in many different forms (system stability, erroneous data, etc). of course, anything is possible and you may not see it...

1. Download the latest video drivers
2. Monitor the temperatures of the mobo, CPU, video card, etc HWMonitor
3. As mentioned previously, Get a multi-meter

Thanks for the fast reply.
I'm currently running the mem-test - and it has located 1 error, and the test is still running.
I talked with a friend of mine who told me, that when I was finished running multiple tests, I could try to take one of the blocks out, and run the test again, to find out on which block the error(s) were. From there, I could run with just 1 block until I bought new ones.

Regards.

Thats very good advice. Please keep us posted.

The mem-test found 3 errors on the ram yesterday - I bought new ones today - so now it's running with 4Gb instead of 2.
However, it just rebooted while playing Call of Duty.
Although it seems to occur much less often.

I guess it's the PSU then - or could my Windows be corrupted? - It's original even! :)

Did you checked Logs in Event Viewer? to see whether it logged something of interest when you had that reboot event?

Yeah I did, and nothing seemed odd to be honest.
However - I replaced my PSU now. Everything is running smooth, and has been running smooth for that last couple of hours. :)

Thanks at lot for the guidance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back