Computer crashing, then won't start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommytomtom

Running a fairly new computer, graphics card is quite powerful (Nvidia GeForce 260 GTX) and a 4GB 1066 speed RAM. The computer has been having no problems for about 4 months, running very quickly and getting high framerates when playing games etc.

Eventually i started getting crashes no matter what i was doing, playing a game, browsing the internet or even just getting onto the Desktop. I am left no choice but to restart the computer, but when i do it gets stuck on the windows loading screen, before that when it says 'start windows normally' or 'start in safe mode' my keyboard does not respond and therefore cannot scroll up and down to choose an option, but after 30 seconds the computer gets to the loading screen and just remains loading for as long as i leave it. However if i unplug the computer and wait about half an hour, it will start up without problems, but then crash again after varius times using the computer. Sometimes it will run for about an hour but seems to be slower than usual, other times it will crash after 5 minutes, the longest i've had it going was a whole day until it crashed again that evening. If i turn on the computer again instantly after the crash, it will get stuck on the loading screen again, the only way that seems to be able to get it started is by unplugging it for a while.

I'm not sure whether this is a hardware or a software problem or what, i've managed to do scans which have found nothing, and updated my drivers. Any help or ideas what the problem could be will be appreciated, let me know if more information on the spec is needed, but from what i have heard the parts should run well together.

Thanks

This sounds like a corrupted memory issue and as well as an infection issue but I lean more towards the former. Still it is a PC and anything can be a cause.

Two things:

1. Give us your full hardware specs including make of your motherboard and make of your RAM, OS, and security software.

2. Second give us five most recent minidump files.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Ok, well i'll do that as soon as possible, i've tried to open up the computer to clean some stuff and i think i've unscrewed the wrong things and its kind of fallen apart inside. Will just sort that out then i'll do what you said :p

Hi there, sorry for the late responce, just manged to get the information before it crashed again.

Contained are 5 attachements of my 5 most recent Minidump files

Thanks

Attachments

• Mini010410-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 3
  • Mini011210-02.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini012310-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini021210-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini121209-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 2
PC Specifications

and here are my PC specifications attached as a .jpg file

Thanks

Attachments

• systeminfo.JPG
    systeminfo.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 3
NPF.SYS device driver of WinPcap is causing these crashes. Now to start with, try uninstalling WinPcap and see whether that helps.

I've just searched through computer for WinPcap and it found 2 files, i deleted both. Did not see anything on 'Add or remove programs' to do with that, if thats a problem.

still having crash issues

still having crash issues even after deleting 2 winpcap files i found searching my computer.

please help.

I read your 5 minidumps and all are 0x8E errors which are almost always caused by hardware though sometimes they can be caused by drivers.

The driver causing your issues as per all your minidumps is npf.sys which you have already deleted.

Check out this link and you can access more information by clicking on the links they provide. Some of the readere's comments are useful.

Link: http://www.file.net/process/npf.sys.html

Archean has directed you to do the 8 Steps which is a good thing because npf.sys could possibly be malware.

* Something of great interest is that in the minidump file Process section is listed wpa_supplicant which belongs to Linux drivers. Check this out: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant Your issue may be your NIC drivers and their quality.

* Also: http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/

* If you have additional minidumps since uninstalling winpcap please attach them in your next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back