Computer dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonisaksson

Hello,

A few days did a post a problem with that my screen was going black during boot of my computer.
I got the suggestion to uninstall the gfx drivers for it which seems to help, but as soon as I tried to install the latest version (nVidia 7950 GX2) it came back.

So I decided to reinstall the computer in the hope that would help but the problem still existed. It worked fine with the drivers that came with Windows but as soon as I tried to upgrade them the problem reappeared.

Well my computer problems are continuing unfortunately.

I needed to copy a large amount of files from one hdd to another. So put it to copy and then came back a few hours later to notice my screen had frozen.
So i rebooted the computer but to my horror didnt the screen even come on.

I assumed my gfx card had finally given up, but I wanted to confirm that before running out and buying a new one did I move a gfx card from another computer (which works) but still nothing. It doesnt even seem to boot.
The fans are all coming on, I hear my dvd drive do a read or two but that is it. No picture and no furhter read of the hard disk. Not any of the warning beeps from the motherboard either

So I am assuming this is my motherboard that has given up? Seems strange that it has happen just as I was having gfx card problem (or so I thought) which makes me a bit worried.

Can I safely assume it is the motherboard or are there anything I can do test this theory (before I run out and by a new one)? The only thing I couldn't change easily to test if they work in another computer is the processor. But this doesnt seem to be a memory problem, and I have already tested changing the GFX card

Thanks
Jon

Good guess

I agree, it looks like you have a dead motherboard. What is the make/model of the motherboard and power supply?

Hi Jon,
I would suggest changing the power supply first... It is cheaper than a motherboard and a CPU hardly ever goes bad unless its heatsink/fan fails

Thank you Tmagic650!!! You were absolutly right!!

I tried with an old power supply and it booted up just fine with that one, i had to use an old graphics card as my old PSU would never have copied with it.

Now I just need to buy my self a new PSU.

Been thinking of going for a modular PSU, but never actually had one

What PSU would you guys recommend?

I calculated the wattage (http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine) and according to that site I would need 437 W at 100% load.

So I was thinking of going for a Corsair 620W HX V2.

Any thoughts?

I don't see a need for a modular power supply in your system, but the Corsair 620 looks good

I have just bought the Corsair one, the only reason I wanted and bought a modular PSU to get a cleaner and hopefully better better airflow in the case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back