TechSpot

Computer dead

By jonisaksson
Dec 22, 2008
  1. Hello,

A few days did a post a problem with that my screen was going black during boot of my computer.
    I got the suggestion to uninstall the gfx drivers for it which seems to help, but as soon as I tried to install the latest version (nVidia 7950 GX2) it came back.

So I decided to reinstall the computer in the hope that would help but the problem still existed. It worked fine with the drivers that came with Windows but as soon as I tried to upgrade them the problem reappeared.

Well my computer problems are continuing unfortunately.

I needed to copy a large amount of files from one hdd to another. So put it to copy and then came back a few hours later to notice my screen had frozen.
    So i rebooted the computer but to my horror didnt the screen even come on.

I assumed my gfx card had finally given up, but I wanted to confirm that before running out and buying a new one did I move a gfx card from another computer (which works) but still nothing. It doesnt even seem to boot.
    The fans are all coming on, I hear my dvd drive do a read or two but that is it. No picture and no furhter read of the hard disk. Not any of the warning beeps from the motherboard either

So I am assuming this is my motherboard that has given up? Seems strange that it has happen just as I was having gfx card problem (or so I thought) which makes me a bit worried.

Can I safely assume it is the motherboard or are there anything I can do test this theory (before I run out and by a new one)? The only thing I couldn't change easily to test if they work in another computer is the processor. But this doesnt seem to be a memory problem, and I have already tested changing the GFX card

Thanks
    Jon

2. grimm77

grimm77 TS Rookie

Good guess

I agree, it looks like you have a dead motherboard. What is the make/model of the motherboard and power supply?

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,915   +167

Hi Jon,
    I would suggest changing the power supply first... It is cheaper than a motherboard and a CPU hardly ever goes bad unless its heatsink/fan fails

4. jonisaksson

jonisaksson TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 102

Thank you Tmagic650!!! You were absolutly right!!

I tried with an old power supply and it booted up just fine with that one, i had to use an old graphics card as my old PSU would never have copied with it.

Now I just need to buy my self a new PSU.

Been thinking of going for a modular PSU, but never actually had one

What PSU would you guys recommend?

I calculated the wattage (http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine) and according to that site I would need 437 W at 100% load.

So I was thinking of going for a Corsair 620W HX V2.

Any thoughts?

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,915   +167

I don't see a need for a modular power supply in your system, but the Corsair 620 looks good

6. jonisaksson

jonisaksson TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 102

I have just bought the Corsair one, the only reason I wanted and bought a modular PSU to get a cleaner and hopefully better better airflow in the case

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.