Computer does not fully boot

Hi,

A few weeks ago, my computer got a virus that posed as a security center application. I had gotten this same virus the year before and had effectively erased it, but this time I panicked a bit and shut down my computer using the power switch on the back of the case. I rebooted ready to go in and get rid of it again but when I tried to boot up my computer only made it pasted a few of the initial procedures and then went directly to a black screen with a flashing "_" at the top. I left it on for a few hours hoping it was only taking an abnormally long time to boot but it never got to me OS. Since then, I've trawled internet forums and have tried resetting the BIOS but, not being very well versed in hardware, I'm not sure what else to do. If anyone could help or give me some ideas or pointers I would be much obliged.

Welcome to TechSpot! It sounds like you may not have fully removed the malware-or-something you did to try and remove it has caused a problem.

The black screen you mention should have white writing on it but sometimes it flashes too fast to be seen. You were wise to stay out of the BIOS- that is one place you should not go unless you are fully aware of what you're doing. You mention that it loads "a few of the initial procedures." Please tell me exactly how far it goes in the startup.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

If you can do this, I'd like you to look at the Event Viewer for current errors. But you need to tell me which operating system you have before I can give you the directions.

Thanks for responding!

There is a flash of text before the black screen (took me a few tries of freezing the screen to see it) displaying "Detect Drives Done, No Any Drives Found". It seems to be a similar problem to what is discussed in this thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic80146.html. (I only found this thread this morning and might try some of what's suggested in it later tonight.)

It makes it to the POST, but not any further than that. I've found that I can boot from a CD and that i can detect my HD, but when I try to start in safe mode it gives me the same black screen. I am using Windows Vista (latest version).

You may be better off seeking help in the forum you found the thread you referenced. I'm going to ask the moderator to move the thread there. Stay subscribed so you will know if you get a reply.

Haven't been on in a few days, but there has been a rather large discovery. After trying a few of the suggestions I've found on these forums, I decided to take out the HDD and try booting it from another computer. Unfortunately, the same problem has occurred. Now knowing that the problem is with my HDD and not the rest of my tower, my only question is is there any way to possibly diagnose and fix this problem or do I have to find a way to extract the data on it (which seems to be intact) manually and convert it into a full-time external HD?

Again, thank you for any help you can give me!

Back