Computer doesn't start, and no power light

Zoldi

Hey, i've got a major problem, probably motherboard issue, so i'm posting it here, to make sure it's my motherboard.

-When i turn on my computer, it does really nothing, even the power light on the front isn't flashing, only the one below (there are two LEDs outside) blinks once! Then it turns off.
-When i remove every other hardware (Except the ones inside the comp.), same happens.
-My computer is connected to the power cord, and when i start up, i clearly hear the fans.

Thanks for helping.

first thing to try would be to swap power supplies...

if new power supply works, then the old one is dead
if new power supply doesn't work, then the motherboard or CPU may be dead
memory may also be preventing the computer from starting, so remove a stick

if you are using an internal speaker, does it beep in pattern or nothing at all?

No beep, trying your advice.

Edit: by the way, in the last week, sometimes (well not sometimes, 7-8 times) the computer powered on like i described, then on random power ons, it started very normally, like when i bought it. Later the same happened, it couldn't boot or anything, then again normal start.. etc.

Another important thing. This doesn't only happen on startups, so when Windows is booted, i'm working, playing whatever, the computer freezes totally, cursor isn't moving on screen, same with keyboard, CPU isn't working anymore. (Monitor is showing the actual screen, where the computer froze)

Old, rather than new. (more than 3ys old i think)

I'm going to change the powersupply to a "sure-working" one in a couple of days, we'll see the result. :)

yup, let us know...

it's not uncommon for standard grade power supply units to last under 5 years. there are so many "el cheapo" brands and models too so i would highly recommend buying something aftermarket (if it turns out you need a new one) like a Corsair, Enermax, PC Power or even an Antec. depending on what you use the computer for, you may want to buy a more powerful unit, say 100w more than what you need. there are plenty of options in the 400w-500w range that are inexpensive and dependable.

yup, let us know...

it's not uncommon for standard grade power supply units to last under 5 years. there are so many "el cheapo" brands and models too so i would highly recommend buying something aftermarket (if it turns out you need a new one) like a Corsair, Enermax, PC Power or even an Antec. depending on what you use the computer for, you may want to buy a more powerful unit, say 100w more than what you need. there are plenty of options in the 400w-500w range that are inexpensive and dependable.

Ok, so: are you sure, that the problem is with the powersupply? If yes, i'll buy a new one.

Thank you!

i was implying to get a new one upon testing another unit first :)

i don't have your computer in front of me to test, so i can't really diagnose anything for sure. i can only guide you in the right direction. to me, it sounds like the power supply, which is the most common culprit, but it could as easily be the motherboard, CPU or RAM. it's just easiest and more practical to test the power supply first.

i was implying to get a new one upon testing another unit first :)

i don't have your computer in front of me to test, so i can't really diagnose anything for sure. i can only guide you in the right direction. to me, it sounds like the power supply, which is the most common culprit, but it could as easily be the motherboard, CPU or RAM. it's just easiest and more practical to test the power supply first.

Right, i have like 3 comps here, i'll test their power supplies on this one :)

Edit: I'm testing the computer with this power supply, it's working now, however, the computer couldn't boot normally on a startup.
Edit: The problem should be with the motherboard, same issue happens with another unit of power supply.

Hey, problem solved!

Video card didn't receive enough amount of power, we need to buy a better power supply (this had max. 230W)
Thanks for Helping!

Oops, not really... we're working on it.. damn it, it's probably the motherboard, but ain't sure.

Back