TechSpot

Computer freezes 2 to 3 mins after boot up, sometimes says "Windows not genuine"

By Mollering
Jun 9, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi!
    I have a Toshiba Satellite L750D. Windows 7.
    All running smoothly when I bought the laptop 3 months ago.
    Few days ago, this started to happen:
    The computer starts running fine, Windows boots up, shows user login screen. All running fine till here.
    Desktop shows, Windows runs as usual. Two to three mins later, it becomes terribly slow. So slow that just trying to open Explorer takes like 5 minutes... The situation then becomes unbearable, it's like the computer freezes up.
    I have then to shut it down manually (pressing On/Off button for 5secs).
    In another times, apart that problem, it appears in bottom right of desktop that the copy of Windows isn't genuine.
    I know it's genuine, I bought the laptop and I activated Windows correctly. But well, that's a minor issue and only happens 1/3 of the times I try to start up the computer. The primary issue is that infinite pseudo-freeze of Windows.
    Starting in Safety Mode doesn't change the problem at all. It will start well, and like 3 mins later, becomes terribly slow again.
    I can solve problem in any way (run antivirus, etc) because I can't run it smoothly...
    Appreciate feedback regarding this issue,
    best regards,
    Joel Möllering

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"I can solve problem in any way (run antivirus, etc) because I can't run it smoothly...." You can solve this problem?

3. Mollering

Mollering TS Rookie Topic Starter

Misspelled that, should be writen "I can't solve the problem in any way..."

And that's precisely the problem...
    As I can't use the laptop after 3minutes of starting up, I can't even run scans or similar.

4. Tmagic650

Overheating?

5. Mollering

I don't think that's the problem, the fan runs smoothly and don't try to run faster.
    Also, I changed the harddrive to another computer and the problem still going on (probably a software issue).

6. Tmagic650

Can you perform a "factory" restore?

7. Mollering

Do you mean install again windows 7?

8. Tmagic650

Laptops have a restore feature built in to return the laptop to a default configuration as it was out of the box

9. Mollering

How can I do that then? It's a Windows menu, or where?

10. Tmagic650

How old is the laptop? These features are usually seen when the laptop first starts to boot, down at the bottom left of the screen

11. Mollering

I have the laptop for 3 months, but it was launched like 9 months ago.
    It is in the Windows boot up, or before?

12. Tmagic650

Before