Computer freezes after login, even after clean install

By gibari
Jan 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, my computer has been freezing for the past few days every time I try to login.

It will sometimes give me a pink screen, I got in once but the screen went black in a couple minutes.

I can login in safe mode fine and even normally if I do diagnostic mode from msconfig.

I tried repairing windows 7 startup, but it detected no errors. I tried a clean install but the problem stayed.

all help is appreciated
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,455   +135

"It will sometimes give me a pink screen, I got in once but the screen went black in a couple minutes"...

Sounds like a video card issue. What are your complete computer specs, and what kind of video are you running? On-board or separate video card?
  3. gibari

gibari Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Its an iBUYPOWER Gamer Supreme 983XLC Desktop PC Core i7 Extreme 980X(3.33GHz) 12GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

so it has a GeForce GTX 570
  4. gibari

Ok updated info
    After login screen goes to black and white marks appear at the top and it loses connection to monitor sometimes but if I wait 5 min it logs me on normal and it appears to be running.
  5. gibari

my GeForce GTX 570 is reading a 61 degrees Celsius in speccy
  6. Tmagic650

This may indicate a dying hard drive...
  7. gibari

Any way to be sure? I managed to get my video card down to 33 degrees celcius after repositioning it and dusting and installing latest drivers
  8. Tmagic650

Those white dash(s) on a black screen means that the computer can't find the hard drive, so that's a clue. You can check the drive for errors by going to computer, right-click on the C drive, tools, and check for errors
  9. gibari

ok I'll try that now and thank you for your help

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.