Computer freezes only while playing video games?

igotgame911

Hey all at techspot.com and this is my first post. */wave*

My computer like in the description just freezes just playing video games nothing else...No error nothing. Right now I am checking my ram with memtest but the test looks to be clean. I honestly don't have any other information to give you on what happens(other than a freeze and have to hard reboot). I will give you me specs:
AMD Phenom(tm) II x4 925 processor 2.80 GHz
4 GB of RAM
GTS 450 is my graphics card
running at 700 watts and the temperature is about 30 degrees Celsius if that helps if any...?
All my drivers are updated with the latest and greatest.

What are your temperatures like under load, i.e. gaming? Is your system freezing during any game or only certain ones?

What are your temperatures like under load, i.e. gaming? Is your system freezing during any game or only certain ones?
The temp is pretty the same changing only slightly. And my computer is freezing on all games. But I can surf the web and watch videos just fine.

This sounds suspiciously like the issue is with your video card drivers even though you have the latest updates. I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* It is late here on the East Coast so I will check in some time tomorrow to see how your fared.

This sounds suspiciously like the issue is with your video card drivers even though you have the latest updates. I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* It is late here on the East Coast so I will check in some time tomorrow to see how your fared.
I played and it still freezed it just lasted a little longer. I tested on all games and they all did the same thing ;(

Okay, now check your system fans -- are they spinning, especially your video card fan; check your air flow. Does the system have dust build up? Heat build-up will cause the kind of freezings you are talking about.

I had to uninstall the driver because it would keep changing from Analog to Digital and turned my screen black for like 10 seconds and then said the driver failed and recovered.

Okay, now back off a driver or two. In other words, do the steps that I provided you but instead of the latest install the one just previous to the latest. If that doesn't work then try the one just before it.

We have seen this step work for a good many people here.

* Keep us updated.

I don't know, but if you ask me it kind of sounds like your video card has run a muck and has trickled it's problems into your system as a whole.

Video game freezes and "hard re-boots" and now "blue screens", doesn't sound to promising.

If I were in your shoes, which I have been once or twice, I would wipe everything out, kill your system and start again from scratch. Install your O.S. and install all of the "latest & greatest" drivers for all your hardware, except for the video card! I would only install the drivers that came with your card, which should be on a CD, just use the drivers off the CD for a while and see if that does the trick.

I know I'm sounding silly, but it kind of sounds like your video card is having a hard time and might be confused about something.

Or if you don't feel like going through the hassle of starting again from scratch, you may then just want to re-place you video card with a new one. If you do re-place the card, make sure all the software for the old card is out before you do this.

"My 2 cents"

I don't know, but if you ask me it kind of sounds like your video card has run a muck and has trickled it's problems into your system as a whole.

Video game freezes and "hard re-boots" and now "blue screens", doesn't sound to promising.

If I were in your shoes, which I have been once or twice, I would wipe everything out, kill your system and start again from scratch. Install your O.S. and install all of the "latest & greatest" drivers for all your hardware, except for the video card! I would only install the drivers that came with your card, which should be on a CD, just use the drivers off the CD for a while and see if that does the trick.

I know I'm sounding silly, but it kind of sounds like your video card is having a hard time and might be confused about something.

Or if you don't feel like going through the hassle of starting again from scratch, you may then just want to re-place you video card with a new one. If you do re-place the card, make sure all the software for the old card is out before you do this.

"My 2 cents"

I wish I could PM you but I don't have 12 post...fail. I have windows 7 and every time I try to wipe the computer(which I have done 4 times) I would always get these Windows.old. files and I can't get rid of them. What should I do?

Hello

I am having the same issue though only when playing games, all games. worms reloaded, fallout 3, fifa 11, GTA IV etc, defragmenting my comp as I type this, did a disc clean up just before it, this is the 1st step i have taken other that restarting my PC. It was working perfectly yesterday on two of the games I mentioned, and has been for 6 - 7 months. I will get the details of my comp if you need. I can/could run GTA IV on High settings if I wanted to fps wise since I bought the Graph card. I am happy to use a few days to troubleshoot I would rather not buy a new gfxcard hehe but if I have to I will, payday is 15th.

I am new, found this thread by searching Google, hope someone can help me =D

pc details
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20 GHz
2.00 GB RAM memory
32-bit Vista operating system
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

2.09 GB free of 445 GB if that means anything, i doubt it ^^