TechSpot

Computer freezes or shuts down

By glove64
Dec 22, 2008
  1. New to the board and could really use some help. I have an Acer laptop that recently began causing some problems. I accidentally ran two antivirus programs at the same time over weekend. The computer shut down and when it restarted, I sent the error report to Microsoft and learned that I had a major system error. Everything then seemed to be o.k. for a while but then last night the computer kept freezing up about two minutes after I started it or shutting down completely. When I went to power back up, it would take several attempts at pressing the power button before the computer would start again. This kept occuring repeatedly before I gave up.

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Did either or both find malware? Did it go into quarantine? Did you delete from there?
    Please copy the error message and paste it here- exactly.
    Please see if you can find Errors that correspond to any or all of the above:

It is not clear if you got the system up. If you did, follow this:
    Start> Run> type in eventvwr

NOTE: Ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    You do not need to include the lines of code-if any-in the box below the Description.
    Please do NOT paste the entire Event log.

3. glove64

glove64 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. An IT buddy of mine is going to take a look at it for me. If he can't figure it out, I'll try your suggestion and send the information. Thanks again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.