Computer Freezes up when opening certain programs

By mikogoincyco93
Jul 15, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everything was working well before, until I get home yesterday. I go to open up AIM and it logs me in. Once I get my buddy list my computer freezes. That's only with one screen name all other's work. Another problem is my firefox crashes frequently for no reason and my itunes freezes after a few seconds. I tried uninstalling them to reinstall but everytime I try to download it my browser freezes up too!

Please Help me I'm in huge distress because if I can't access iTunes I can't sync my contacts to my new phone (and believe me I have many contacts)

Edit: Even when I go on Meebo. It freezes up(Meebo is another way you can access your AIM Screen name online
  2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,259   +41

search our forums for the 8 step virus and malware removal thread.
  3. mikogoincyco93

mikogoincyco93 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 23

I can't find it and I did a complete scan of my computer of viruses with Avira Antivir
  4. snowchick7669

snowchick7669 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 698

Supermashbrada is talking about this thread 8 Step Guide

I'd suggest running through all the steps, just running your AV scan is not always enough
  5. mikogoincyco93

anytime I try to download something my browser crashes
  6. snowchick7669

Try running the machine in 'Safemode with networking'

See if you can download anything
  7. mikogoincyco93

How do I do that?
  8. snowchick7669

Sorry for not explaining.

When the machine is booting up, tap F8 constantly and you will come to a black screen with white writing. There should be 3 options for safemode. You want the 'Safemode with networking'

See how you get on
  9. mikogoincyco93

Ok I'll get back to you tommorow
  10. mikogoincyco93

While trying to update my Java. It says that the Administrator has set his policies to prevent this installation. My computer doesn't have an administrator. Except in safe mode. in which case I'm on the account
  11. snowchick7669

You'll find that the malware you have/had will do this. It is common for them to set their own group policies to block you doing certain things (like removing them). Just keep going through the steps
  12. mikogoincyco93

Yea but I can't update my Java so I can't go through the steps
  13. snowchick7669

Then skip that step for now and when you attach your logs, remember to say what steps you couldn't do and why you couldn't. So your helper has all the information and a better idea as to whats going on.

14. mikogoincyco93

Ok Let me continue and I'll get back to you
  15. mikogoincyco93

Ok here's my log

When I tried to upgrade my Java runtime environment it would not let me and said that the Administrator has set his policies to prevent this installation
  16. snowchick7669

mikogoincyco93,

Since there has been a lot of input into this thread already. I'd recommend making a new thread, in the Virus & Malware Removal forum with the previous post you just said.

Otherwise your thread may be overlooked as it will seem like you are already getting help. I'm not part of the Malware Team :)

Their names will be in purple. Sorry I didn't instruct you earlier:blush:
  17. mikogoincyco93

Thank you so much for all your help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.