computer freezes when i open programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just fixed a sound card problem that i've had for a long time..i installed a new card and reinstalled windows but now when i try to open 2 programs my computer freezes and there is noway to close the programs. I cant even sign on to aim if its the only program running. anyone one have any ideas what could be wrong?

Welcome to TechSpot it would help if you posted your system spec's

was your previous sound onboard sound or a sound card? and was this a clean install after formatting or just reinstalling windows over an existing install?

do any devices in device manager have yellow question marks or yellow triangles beside them?

have you checked your RAM? I suspect that because youi have better sound, it takes up more ram, thus your current ram would need upgrading or adding another stick.

i just reinstalled XP over an existing install. I dont have any question marks or triangles anymore...that was my problem before i got my sound card installed. my comp is an pentium 3 733 mhz, sound blaster sound card, 32 ram anything else u need to know just ask me

32 megs of RAM? surely not? And your processor...you've overclocked? If so, your PC might be getting to hot and freezes. Mine's good though so depending on your mobo, it will either work or it wont.

If you only have 32MB of RAM, you would be wise to either a)buy more RAM, or b)get SoulHarvester to give you tips on trimming XP down(He's installed a trimmed down XP on a Pentium 75 iirc)

Seriously though, XP requires 64MB RAM and 128 recommended, which if you have all updates and a TYPICAL install, its almost impossible to run stable on less than 128. Adding all your apps and games to this will just make this minimum requirement grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back