Computer freezes while playing games

[LEFT]Hey guys and girls. [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]I was hoping to get some help with an issue my husband has with his computer. It tends to freeze up completely during gaming. Screen freezes, sound freezes, keyboard lights shut off, mouse lights shut off, nothing works anymore. We have tried waiting but the only way to gain control over the computer is by manually restarting it. [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]He recently recieved a complete new cpu fan and thermal paste because it looked like a cpu overheating issue. But that did not solve the problem either. [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]He has also downloaded the latest video drivers, and is running DX11, that was updated this summer.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]He bought the computer in april. It came in parts and he had to build it himself. But the parts was recommended together and should be compatible. [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]I'll copy paste some info on his PC. Idk if this is useful or not ;-)[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Current OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. Version [FONT=arial]6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]System Typex64-based PC[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]BIOS Version/DateAmerican Megatrends Inc. 0301, 16.09.2011[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]SMBIOS Version2.6[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]He uses an AMD Raedon HD 7800 Series graphics card, recently updated drivers. [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]He has 8 GB ram, thats linked ( 2x4 ) Corsair Vengeance.[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]The problems started after he bought the game Batman: arkham city. After half a week playing that game the freezes started. He has been using the computer for gaming before for WoW and Space Marine before that with no issues.[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]When the problems started with Batman arkham city, the computer would turn off itself. If you then start it up again it said that the CPU was overheating, and to prevent lasting damage, the computer turned itself off. After that he got the new CPU fan and replaced the cooling paste. Now the computer just freezes as described above, playing any game. Havent had it occur yet, outside of games.[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]Also checking core temp, and the display of the keyboard (logitech g19) core number 4 seems a bit spiky while playing, I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem. [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]If you need anymore info say so and I will do my best to post it :)[/FONT][/LEFT]

Hey again, in before people asks for more info. I managed to find the list of all parts that is in the computer. The new fan is not in the list tho.
  • Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl, Fans: 1x 120mm Front, 1x 120mm Rear, Noise dampened, ATX, mATX, mITX, USB 3.0
  • - Silver Power SP-SS620M 620W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus Bronze, Modular, 2× 6pin PCIe, 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 9x SATA
  • Intel Core™ i5 Quad Processor i5-2500K 3,3GHz, Socket LGA1155, 6MB, Boxed
  • - ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, Socket-1155, ATX, Z68, DDR3, 3xPCIe(3.0)x16, CFX&SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, VGA, DVI, HDMI, EFI
  • - Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Vengeance Heatspreader, 240 pin
  • - PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0, 1xDL-DVI-I, native-HDMI, 2xmini-DisplayPort
  • - Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 60GB, SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 525MB/490MB/s read/write, SandForce® SF-2200
  • - Seagate Barracuda® 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3.5"
  • Black DVD±RW
The Windows is on the SSD while all other programs and games are on the barracuda

Get into the bios and go into the CPU area. Disable C1E and EIST. Also disable any power saving or CPU throttle down settings. See if this helps the issue. Is the SSD set on a SATA 3 port and is it configured as AHCI in the bios settings?

Thanks for the response, we will try that now and report back as soon as we know. He had a freeze just 5 minutes ago again.

The SSD is on a SATA 6 gb port.

Hehe well I'm no computer wiz :-D We tried doing all you said, the computer has not been used for a few days "properly" but today in a battleground in wow it froze again. So it did not help.

There is still a lot of spiking on core number 4. And thats only while playing games, outside nothing happens.

Why are you watching the CPU cores? Core 4 is the last in the list, and with my CPU it spikes with no issues at all

Back