Computer freezes

Quick Background: I have had this computer for approximately 2 years and have had absolutely no problems until recently. In fact the computer's performance hadn't change from when I first took it out of the box. I have constantly maintained the computer and I do always go to trusted websites. About 2 weeks ago I left my computer running while I left for work. When I came home from work my computer was logged off from Windows.

The Problem: I turned on my computer and tried opening Firefox. It took an unusually long time for the program to startup. Once Firefox loaded I noticed right away the computer would freeze every few seconds, and I would get the “Not Responding” message. I exited out of Firefox and noticed it started happening with almost, if not every, program. If I am typing something, whether I'm on Microsoft Word, or on the internet, the computer freezes. It takes a few seconds for the letters to appear on the screen after I have typed them. It happens almost every time I try to scroll up or down. Some apps are worse than others. I checked the performance of my CPU and memory during these freezes and surprisingly nothing happens. My CPU maybe gets up to 30-50% max when opening a program and never spikes during freezes. I have no unnecessary programs going on in the background and my startup programs are very minimal. My computer boots up extremely fast and my virus scanner has shown nothing. I ran almost every imaginable scan possible and all say I have no viruses, malware, spyware, etc… AVG tune-up utilities sayss my computer is in perfect health. I tried every solution and gave up so I formatted my computer and upgraded my Windows 7 from home premium to professional. I updated everything from windows update and updated all my drivers. I installed Firefox and noticed the problem was still present. I tried Internet Explorer but that was worse. My computer still freezes for a few seconds and the programs still say “not responding” for a few seconds. Watching videos on YouTube is unbearable at this point. I am all out of options… I don’t know what else I can do. Sorry everyone for the long winded message, this is my first post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Computer Info: OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model Satellite A505
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date INSYDE 1.40, 8/31/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Josh-PC\Josh
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.80 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.94 GB